“Grok”

Good afternoon classmates,

Okay, so I know I am not the only one who had never heard of the word “grok” before class today! At least I hope I am not the only one! I Honestly thought this was a word Dr. C made up on his own and that people were just shaking their heads and going along with it, but it is indeed a real word (a goofy word at that). According to Wikipedia, the term was coined in the 1960’s by Robert A Heinlein in his science fiction novel, “Stranger in a Strange Land”. I don’t know about anyone else but I enjoy science fiction so I may have to pick this up and read it just for the heck of it, especially if Heinlein is making up weird random words in the novel. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term “grok” means “to understand intuitively or by empathy, to establish rapport with” and “to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment”. What is interesting is that the definition in Heinlein’s book is different from what the Oxford English Dictionary lists because apparently in the book, the term is associated with things like water and life.

For everyone’s viewing pleasure, I have attached a video that describes his book.