Interior Design

Facebook is known for being a leading social networking site.  Some may love it and others may hate it.  Facebook is mainly know as an alternative way to stay connected to family and friends or promote a business.  Facebook is a little more complex than just statuses and pictures.  It allows users to blog, internally email, instant message, create events and groups and many other tools that can be beneficially when trying to stay connected in a busy world.

While researching I found it interesting how quickly Facebook rose to fame and went from a dorm room to a multi-billion dollar company in a few short years.  Facebook was not the first social media site and while researching I kept wondering how Myspace disappeared when it seemed to offer more as well as be the first.  Now there is Twitter and Instagram competing with Facebook and I’m curious how Facebook has managed to stay on top.

I find that people don’t like talking about Facebook because they think it is “lame” (my friends, 2014), YET they check their Facebook apps several times a day and are always connected.  I hope that my topic does not deter readers before even reading because I have gained a whole new perspective on the internet phenomenon.  I find it absolutely fascinating how this website is so engrained in the lives of so many.  If people are not fond of Facebook or have qualms about the privacy settings, why hasn’t there been a major drop in the daily users?

I think people should embrace the social tool of Facebook.  Everything about Facebook is customizable. Users get what they give out of Facebook.  If you want to be more involved, communicate with more family and friends.  If you don’t like that everything is on the screen, use Facebook as a tool to set up an in person event for your friends.

I’d like to use my inquiry project to answer why Facebook is the most popular form of social media and how it grew to be the powerhouse it is today.

Filling my Toolbox

Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg, “Personal Dynamic Media”

http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-26-kay.pdf

J. C. R. Licklider, “Man-Computer Symbiosis,” 

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/medg/people/psz/Licklider.html

Ted Nelson, Computer Lib / Dream Machines

http://www.newmediareader.com/book_samples/nmr-21-nelson.pdf

Stephen Marche, The Atlantic, April 2, 2012

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/is-facebook-making-us-lonely/308930/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook/connecting-to-everything-you-care-about/382978412130

Me and my 400 friends, Adriana M. Manago

http://psycnet.apa.org.proxy.library.vcu.edu/journals/dev/48/2/369.html

Facebook for Dummies, Leah Pearlman; Carolyn Abram

http://proquest.safaribooksonline.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/book/-/9780470527610/firstchapter#X2ludGVybmFsX0h0bWxWaWV3P3htbGlkPTk3ODA0NzA1Mjc2MTAlMkZwaG90b3MmcXVlcnk9

NY Times, Gretchen Kelmer

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/12/30/has-facebook-ruined-love/facebook-can-clarify-the-status-of-a-relationship

Her Campus, Laura Hoxworth

http://www.hercampus.com/love/relationships/importance-facebook-relationship-status-its-well-complicated

Who Does What on Facebook?  Age, Sex, and Relationship Status as Predictors of Facebook Use, Francis T. McAndrew

http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/science/article/pii/S0747563212002075#

Honing my Tools

Albanesius, C. (2009, June 16). More Americans Go To Facebook         Than MySpace. PCMAG. Retrieved July 27, 2014, from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2348822,00.asp

Hartung, A. (2011, January 14). How Facebook Beat MySpace. <i>Forbes</i>. Retrieved July 23, 2014, from http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2011/01/14/why-facebook-beat-myspace/

How Did Facebook Grow So Much So Quickly? | Simply Zesty. (n.d.). How Did Facebook Grow So Much So Quickly? | Simply Zesty. Retrieved July 28, 2014, from http://www.simplyzesty.com/Blog/Article/May-2012/How-Did-Facebook-Grow-So-Much-So-Quickly

Kay, A., & Goldberg, A. (1977). Personal dynamic media. Computer, 10(3), 31-41.

Licklider, J. C. (1960). Man-Computer Symbiosis. IRE Transactions on Human Factors in Electronics, HFE-1(1), 4-11.

Nelson, T. H., & Nelson, T. H. (1987). Computer lib: Dream machines (p. 31). Redmond: Tempus Books of Microsoft Press.

McNamara, J. (2013, January 14). What’s the Appeal of Facebook? – Hey Big Guy. Hey Big Guy. Retrieved July 27, 2014, from http://www.heybigguyblog.com/whats-the-appeal-of-facebook/

Tagtmeier, C. (2010). Facebook vs. Twitter: battle of the social network stars. Computers In Libraries, 30(7), 6-10.

This site was not allowing me to properly indent my sources.

Some Assembly Required

In “Man-Computer Symbiosis”, written in 1960 by J. C. R. Licklider, the author expresses his hope that in the not so distance future, “human brains and computing machines will be coupled together very tightly”. I think we are at this point. In terms of Facebook, everywhere you go you see people taking selfies, checking newsfeeds, and communicating on their personal computer smartphones. Facebook has made it the norm to constantly stay connected and share what you are doing with the world. I wonder if this is what Licklider envisioned for the future of computers and some of their most popular uses.

Real Estate

I would like to submit my final paper using Rampages.  It took me awhile to get used to all of the websites, and I finally feel comfortable navigating myself around this site.

Friday’s Weekly Wrap Up

The similarities that come to mind from my nugget and concept experience would be how Facebook keeps its users interests in mind to keep the site popular.  I mentioned in my concept experience that Facebook may need to change in the future to grab the attention of the current teenagers leaving the site.  Like in the passage I selected this week, the authors discussed focusing the notebook device to children users.  The concept experience really made me have to think, and I realized I will never be a technological innovator.  When originally thinking of what else Facebook could possibly need, I had nothing.  I thought it had it all and anything more might be just a little too creepy.  I researched some thoughts of others of where they predicted Facebook to be, and it really got me thinking.  Technology changes so quickly these days.  Its silly think that Facebook wouldn’t change much.

The KahnQuest discusses her thoughts on the future of Wikipedia.  She talks about how there is a little bit for everyone on this website.  I don’t know if I think Facebook is broad enough to be for everyone, but it is a different experience for each user based on who you choose to follow and friend.

After reading Jamie and the Blog, I fear for the next ten years, ha.  I do look forward to empty Walmarts!  I like where this person is going with Tor becoming the next Google Chrome though.  Many concerns surrounding Facebook have to do with its privacy, and I can very well see people wanting privacy when surfing the web.  I look forward to reading this final paper and finding out more about what Tor really is.

After reading Morganneperez‘s blog on her thoughts of the future Pandora, it made me think of the new movie, Her, and what if Pandora’s features became less instead of more.  What if Pandora was just an ear piece and the user would verbally say, “like”, “dislike”, or suggestion a new station without having a screen at all.  After watching this same movie, it made me think of Facebook in the years to come and what if the same ear piece read all of the newfeeds to you so you could always be connected while at dinner, driving, walking to work, etc.  To make a big jump to that level of Facebook now might be too much, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it gradually evolved to that.

Future Thoughts

Facebook turned ten years old this year.  It has been through many changes and breakthroughs for social media and keeping people connected or reconnected for a decade, however, it seems as though the site has not changed much in recent years.  Has Facebook already reached its prime or is there more to come?  Studies have shown that teenage users are on the decline while others expect those users to return to the site when they are older. I believe for Facebook’s future success the site will have to change to cater toward a new generation, especially one that is always up to date with ever growing technology.    Privacy issues have turned off many users as well, and for any ideas I have of where Facebook may lead us in the years to come, privacy would be nonexistent.  Forbes writer, Mikolaj Piskorski, predicts Facebook encouraging users to get together in person by informing its users of what friends are near by based on their location then offering restaurant/outing suggestions. With parents on their notebook computers and cell phones all of the time, will the younger generation crave love and real affection to make up for something missed for years?  If so, how will that affect Facebook to give a new meaning to relationships of the future.  Maybe the lack of privacy will be a trade off for users to connect face to face. With technology constantly developing, I can’t even imagine where Facebook will be in ten years.  It is already accessible in our palms, but I would not be surprised if Zuckerberg found a way to make it closer.

***EDIT***

For my inquiry project, I’d like to focus on how Facebook keeps people connected and to what level they are connected.  I’m still on the fence about whether wide and shallow connections are better than short and deep connections.  I’m also trying to keep my feelings toward Facebook out of it so I can be opened minded while writing.

While working on yesterdays assignment, I began thinking about relationships and whether they have changed due to technology.  The article I linked discussed how Facebook might bring people together in person.  It made me wonder if they predicted people needing more out of relationships.  If this is the case, I may try to include it in my inquiry paper.  I would really like to keep the focus of the final paper on how Facebook keeps people connected, the pros and cons of these connections, and then come to my conclusion.

Nugget 5

“Much of the hardware and software was successful from the standpoint of computer science state-of-the-art research, but lacked sufficient expressive power to be useful to an ordinary user. At that time we became interested in focusing on children as our
“user community.”” (Page4, Design Background)

This blurb stuck out to me because when Facebook was created it had a specific target market in mind, the college student.  Later in the Design Background section of this paper, Kay and Goldberg discuss why children loved this device.

“The interactive nature of the dialogue, the fact that they are in control, the feeling that they are doing real things rather than playing with toys or working out “assigned” problems”
Children were able to look at this device in a different perspective than adults which allowed them to get more out of the experience while learning and being entertained.  While Facebook is not used as a learning tool, it was still designed for young adults with their interests in mind.
When Facebook was created, the idea was so new that it probably wouldn’t have appealed to an older generation.  When first describing what Facebook was to my parents and grandma several years ago, they thought it sounded like a waste of time.  Now, all three have a Facebook and are avid users.  It took awhile for the idea to be understood and the value of Facebook to be seen by a larger group of people.
Now notebook computers are designed for users of all ages and used for many things and scenarios.  While the notebook computer of today is not the same as the notebook computer described in the article for the children, Facebook is not the same and changes have been made to both to appeal to a larger audience.
***EDIT***
Morganne Perez relates her nuggets to Pandora.  She talks about how the user controls Pandora with the thumbs up or down button and by selecting the stations they want to listen to.  This is also somewhat true for Facebook.  Every Facebook page is customized differently by who the user chooses to follow.
Linaibrahim talks about the importance of the artist and audience to radio and users to social media.  The radio/music outlet would be nothing without artist to play and an audience to listen.  Facebook would not keep people connected if two people on both ends did not used it to communicate.
I enjoyed the nugget Talebm chose.  It also immediately reminded me of the iPad.  How great is a device that can be used by users of all ages for whatever reason to benefit the user.

Project Prospectus

I have not had an opportunity to fully dive into research for this project.  Of the few articles I have read about Facebook and the connections it allows people to make, I have found that the older generation likes to use Facebook to keep in touch with their children and grandchildren.  I have also found that the younger generation likes using it as a main form of communication.  I find this interesting because I wonder when it was that telephone calls and writing letters and emails became too time consuming, or why are they are not as popular, OR if they only seem less popular because I am a part of the younger generation.  I would like to look into why the younger generation prefers to communicate in text opposed to verbal communication.   Do people enjoy having others read their conversations?  Is Facebook and texting more popular because it allows you to communicate in situations that would be rude or inappropriate to communicate with others during?  I would like to research the intended uses of Facebook and compare that with how people are really using it.  I would also like to discover if Facebook is keeping people closer or if it is only allowing more shallow relationships verse fewer deeper ones.

Nugget Curation 1

Nugget 1. “First, they have increased his control of his material environment. They have improved his food, his clothing, his shelter; they have increased his security and released him partly from the bondage of bare existence”

Nugget 2. ” Automatic Speech Production and Recognition: How desirable and how feasible is speech communication between human operators and computing machines? That compound question is asked whenever sophisticated data-processing systems are discussed. Engineers who work and live with computers take a conservative attitude toward the desirability. Engineers who have had experience in the field of automatic speech recognition take a conservative attitude toward the feasibility. Yet there is continuing interest in the idea of talking with computing machines. In large part, the interest stems from realization that one can hardly take a military commander or a corporation president away from his work to teach him to type. If computing machines are ever to be used directly by top-level decision makers, it may be worthwhile to provide communication via the most natural means, even at considerable cost.”

Nugget 3. “Language–the way in which the individual parcels out the picture of his world into the concepts that his mind uses to model that world, and the symbols that he attaches to those concepts and uses in consciously manipulating the concepts.”

Nugget 4. “Computers are simply a necessary and enjoyable part of
life, like food and books. Computers are not everything, they
are just an aspect of everything, and not to know this is
computer illiteracy, a silly and dangerous ignorance.”

The connections I found between my nuggets are as follows:

2, 3, and 4: Language is the most intuitive way to communicate; if we can communicate with a computer through speech it could allow people without specialized knowledge to use a computer more easily

4, 2: computers are becoming more ingrained in everyday life; if a computer could understand language and speech it could increase our dependency on them because it would make them easier to use.

1, 4: computers can metaphorically release you from a mental bondage, allowing you to access information and functionality beyond your normal means