Blog Post #3

This whole semester of Science of Happiness has taught me a lot of how to take care of myself mentally and one of the first lessons I learned was that the absence of mental illness does not mean you have good mental health. The way you treat you mind should be respected in the same manner as one does with their body. I also enjoyed the presentation of finding our strengths through the VIA strength test and turning it into a way to help reach goals and helping others. I actually think this presentation will stay with me for a long time as when this information was being presented, what stuck in my head was a study of three groups and how the group that focused on working on their weakness found to be happier than those working on their strengths.These strengths can also be connected with social emotional learning. The readings and presentations of social emotional learning made me aware of how the education system is lacking classes that can help us tap into our strengths and also develop skills for the the workplace. The exercise we did in class on what you look for in a job also made me prioritize on what I want in job in the future. I also liked learning that science that comes with clinical depression and how scientist are figuring out what in the brain is making people develop this mental disease. In the weekly reading covering depression, psychologist Oliver James leans towards culture on being a factor for the rise of depression over the past thirty years. I became aware of how affluenza and our incapacity to reach our materialistic desires could lead us to believe that we are incapable of being happy without having everything we want.This could affect working and middle class who work all day and do not have the time to treat themselves and practice mental self care. Many believe relaxation and meditation can’t be part of their busy schedule. What this class has taught me is that it only takes five minutes of concentrated breathing in order to be in the moment and not to focus on the past and future. A topic that was most meaningful to me was the presentation on grit. I felt like it was relatable for me and how I view most things. I like to have long term goals and being able to achieve them. I have been taught perseverance and commitment from my family and I have always been one to love challenges. This presentation helped me see how other students use their grit to their advantage and how it all involves positive and realistic thinking.

I plan to use the knowledge I gained from Science of Happiness into my professional life by working on my job skills in order to maintain a happy working environment and spreading mindfulness to other co workers. This also includes taking five or ten minute breaks every two to three hours to either meditate or walk around. In my personal life, I am trying to incorporate yoga into my schedule in order to take away some stress of tests and homework to be in the present. I have already started to color and take small naps in order to free my head. I am also starting to do more random acts of kindness in order to make someone’s day. I think I need more help with forgiveness and that will probably be a long process. I can continue to share more information of positive psychology by continuing to share articles on Facebook and spreading the word about events happening in VCU about Science of Happiness and COBE through Snapchat.

I chose this picture because it shows how easy it is to change your life from a negative aspect to a positive point of view.It all starts with your mind and how you view things.

One Reply to “Blog Post #3”

1. I feel the exact same was as you do , I feel that this entire class has showed us the proper ways to treat our mind and it has given us many was to do that. They have shined a light on how not having mental issues or disorders is having good mental , which society has wrong and they have corrected for us.