WWSD

The blase attitude. Read this article, and it just shouts out to you the numbness that has taken over most, of the human race. I know most of would say, “No I would never walk past someone hurting, or in need of help”, but I am sure thats what the people in this article thought too.  Simmel would recognize the power the individual has within this subjective world.  These people who passed by the man in distress, clearly were proving the idea of the blase. In this world, we are subject to so much stimuli that it sometimes ends up with the person blocking out something that can be happening right in front of them. I am sure certain people may have thought, oh well someone else will come by and help the man.  But, before even thinking that, you have to acknowledge that there was a lack of concern within the people who passed that man, lack of concern that is probably due to having to many options as  humans in this society.  The individual is trying to maintain its individuality/ self against the powers of society and what it puts in their way. It is sad that this idea and make people play out this way, but Simmel guessed it.

3 thoughts on “WWSD”

1. I sometimes wonder if other people really do think “oh someone else will help him.” I think some people just commit to the idea that they don’t need to help because it is not their responsibility to help. Simmel scares me a bit because with a little imagination I can easily see him theorizing that people would (and have) let go of taking more responsibility than just responsibility for their own personal welfare, which is just not okay.

2. “In this world, we are subject to so much stimuli that it sometimes ends up with the person blocking out something that can be happening right in front of them.” I really agree with you when you said this above. I would think that our generation has been so mindful about this, but apparently not so much. When one hear things on the news like “1000 killed, and 73 injured,” you realize the impact, but it doesn’t effect you much. Until its like ” 23 innocent children killed, and here are their faces.” I think when people do this, it spins the narrative. But how messed up is that? Just because the general public was not given an age, gender, or face to the 1000 victims, we can feel less for them. It’s a sad reality.

3. I also tied this in with blase attitude. It saddens me how we become emotionally withdrawn and it is seen in this article. Like someone else said, do we really think someone else is going to help? We should be the bigger person and do something, say something and then maybe the others will follow our actions and actually REACT!