Week 8 Blog Post

2.6 The student will develop map skills by using globes and maps of the world and the United States to locate a) the seven continents and the five oceans;

Creating a Song

3 2 1
Students are able to accurately create a song confirming the 7 continents. Students should have accurately talked about all 7 continents. Students are able to talk about 6-5 of the continents. Students were unable to talk about more than 5 of the continents.
Students are able to accurately create a song confirming all 5 oceans. Students should have accurately talked about all 5 oceans. Students were able to talk about 4-3 of the oceans. Students were unable to talk about more than 3 of the oceans.

Labeling a Map

3 2 2
Students are able to accurately pinpoint and label the 7 continents on the map given. Students should be able to accurately pinpoint and label all 7 continents on the map correctly. Students are able to label 6-5 of the continents on the map correctly. Students are unable to pinpoint more than 5 of the continents.
Students are able to accurately pinpoint and label the 5 oceans on the amp given. Students should be able to accurately pinpoint and label all 5 of the oceans on the map correctly. Students are able to pinpoint and label 4-3 of the oceans on the map correctly. Students are unable to pinpoint and label more than 3 of the oceans on the map.

Worksheet as a formative assessment

Map of the World assessment

Assessment at the end. Taken as a quiz.

4 Replies to “Week 8 Blog Post”

1. I love this activity! I think it is very age appropriate and fun. I think it tests their knowledge about the name of continents as well as their locations. One of my favorite activities in elementary school was labeling continents, countries, and the states in the US. I think this activity is very beneficial to students!

2. I love this activity! I think it is very age appropriate and fun. I think it tests their knowledge about the name of continents as well as their locations. One of my favorite activities in elementary school was labeling continents, countries, and the states in the US. I think this activity is very beneficial to students!

– Da’Zha Hairston

3. I think the idea of having students create a song to remember both the seven continents and the five oceans is an engaging assessment tool that would be enjoyable for the whole class! This also supports the summative assessment of coloring and labeling the continents and oceans because students can use the songs they created to help them complete the assignment. These assessments are age-appropriate, assess the material in an interactive way, and can be easily graded given the detailed rubrics.

Another assessment tool that I would suggest for this particular SOL/content would be the Sortify BrainPOP activity, Quia Jeopardy-type game, or any other drag & drop or matching game that would allow students to practice correctly labeling the continents and oceans.