Part 2

So I talked about Adam and Eve in my last post, but I am still surprised of how this twelve book poem ended. Milton had readers wondering what metaphors or little details that he was going to insert to carry the plot along. There have been so many twists and turns, but I honestly did not see them walking out of Paradise hand in hand at the end. After everything that has happened in the poem it seemed like a pretty low key ending but it was anything besides that.

Adam and Eve

In Paradise Lost, the examples of from last week in class of Milton and learning in Paradise. I would have to say that from the last few lines of the poem Adam and Eve did learn in the garden. When they began they were two separate people in Paradise with the same restrictions. When they leave Paradise they are hand in hand walking as one cohesive pair. They learn compassion and how to care or how to do the best for each other while figuring out Paradise.

Finding Inspiration.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with friends and family. I also hope that everyone is enjoying their break, or more like what is left of it. I was having trouble finding something to blog about this week, so I decided to google “Interesting facts about Paradise Lost” and up pops an article. The article was called “12 things you didn’t know about Paradise Lost” and I’m not sure how true they are except for the fart one but some were pretty weird. If you want to check it out here is the link: https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2017/10/12-things-you-didn-t-know-about-paradise-lost

Milton

After doing research to continue where my presentation left off, I wanted to expand my thoughts a little on “the fall.” I have been researching and looking for sources to use for my paper and I found another book that compares Milton’s, Paradise Lost to Virgil’s, the Aeneid, and even to Chaucer. Entering this class at the beginning of the semester, I did not know much about Milton, if anything at all, but I did know works of Virgil, Chaucer, and more of the well know writers around that time. I do not think I thought about or really knew that he was up there with the other writers of the time, which now seems weird because Paradise Lost seems so advanced for when it was written.

The Bridge

There are a lot of details in Book 10 of Milton’s Paradise Lost, but one thing that seemed weird to me was the bridge from hell to earths walls. I do not really understand why this is needed, but I’m sure that Milton has some explanation for this. This is the part happens halfway through the book and Satan had already been to earth through the fountain and Adam and Eve fell. Then Satan encounters Death and Sin on the bridge between hell and earth, but this seems weird.

Paradise Lost Book 10

I thought that yesterday’s discussion was interesting, because I had never really thought of their repentance in a way such as DABDA. I think that this shows how Adam and Eve grew in the garden, because they change over time. That is what links everything together, the learning/ growing and the metanoia that we discussed in class. The take on DABDA, gives them very human like qualities as well because it shows that they are about to grow.

The Fall

So after doing research on the fall I think it is a little strange that they technically fall separately, that there is so much emphasis on Eve. They were both in paradise together, but Eve is the one who falls. I was surprised that it took so long for the fall to happen, because it took until the 9th book and there are still 3 more to go. Also, that in book nine the serpent found it so easy to find it’s way into Eve’s heart, but if it was so easy into Eve’s heart why was it not easy for Adam?

Tuesday’s Special Class

At first I wasn’t really sure what to expect about having a “special class” but it turned out pretty good. I wasn’t expecting to get a small portion of the readathon and the experience. I know in the past I have really struggled on how to read poetry and reading it aloud is a daunting task, but like many others who have blogged about it I found myself making stupid mistakes. I also heard a difference as time went on, that everything was moving smoother. I didn’t think that it would take so much concentration to read such a small portion of Paradise Lost, I found it so easy to keep reading without actually noticing any punctuation marks.

Acrostics

Scipio the highth of Rome. With tract oblique [ 510 ]

At first, as one who sought access, but feard

To interrupt, side-long he works his way.

As when a Ship by skilful Stearsman wrought

Nigh Rivers mouth or Foreland, where the Wind

After doing some research for my presentation on Thursday I found an article discussing acrostics and that they are basically a secret message in Milton’s Paradise Lost. Beginning at line 510 in Milton’s Paradise Lost that is where the first acrostic occurs with the following lines spelling Satan, which is describing Satan disguised as a surpent that went up to Eve to make her taste the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge. Apparently from reading the same article Virgil did this in the Aeneid and it was not very uncommon to see this in this style poetry. The most interesting part is that of all the crazy things that Milton incorporates in his works that critics have torn apart to get down to the meaning, but some how this was overlooked for some time before a college student found it.

Virgil’s The Aeneid

I have blogged about the correlations to Virgil The Aeneid and Milton’s Paradise Lost before with the structure of them both being twelve books, but in book nine Milton takes it one step further. Milton begins to use the formatting in the Aeneid with the voice and connecting it to a passage in the Aeneid between Aeneas and Dido.

That brought into this World a world of woe, [11]

• This is the note from the underline: This line echoes the early lines of book 1, which in turn echo fairly closely Virgil’s narrative voice in Aeneid book 4, announcing that death and woe followed the ersatz nuptials of Aeneas and Dido:To the same cave come Dido and the Trojan chief. Primal earth and nuptial Juno give the sign; fires flashed in heaven, the witness to their bridal, and on the mountain-top screamed the Nymphs. That day was the first day of death, that the first cause of woe. (Trans. H. Rushton Fairclough in Virgil vol. 1 [Cambridge, MA: Havard University Press, 1935] 407)

Also, from taking a class that we studied Virgil, he uses nymphs like Milton uses the angels. They are both spirited beings a nymph being a mythological spirit of nature and angels being a spirited creature that is a messenger of God. This seems important because they both use them in similar ways to the reader, especially since most of the readers have a general consensus of what each of them are and what they look like in their mind.

The Aeneid and Paradise Lost both use mythology and the Gods which is interesting because they both use different characters from mythology. If I remember correctly I think my teacher said that the Aeneid was Virgil’s masterpiece and that relates to Paradise Lost because this was his masterpiece that he spent his career trying to create.