Ceci's UNIV 391:Science of Happiness

Just another Rampages.us site

Blog Post #2

Since our last blog post, we have talked about social emotional learning, positive relationships through mindfulness, emotional resilience and the digital age, and substance abuse . These all tie together to say that we need to take care of ourselves first mentally and changing a few things in our lifestyle can be more beneficial to our health mentally and physically. We have done a few interesting activities in class these past weeks that I personally feel have helped me. The first one was practicing mindfulness everyday for a week. I noticed a difference in myself from the before and after affect of doing this everyday for five days. I felt more relaxed and was able to concentrate a lot better than before. To this day,I have continued to do this. I have a hard time falling asleep – I always have – so I mainly practiced this right before bed. I have noticed that I am to fall asleep a lot easier now and I don’t feel so anxious about not being able to sleep through the night. Another activity that we did was not using our phones or laptops during class. I am not going to lie, it was very hard to do because I am so used to checking my phone or checking my email or Blackboard but as time when on it got easier and even after class I wasn’t even worried about checking my phone right away. I would go another half an hour to forty minutes without checking any of my screens. I found the presentation on substance abuse interesting because I have seen some of my close friends go through this. A lot of the substance abuse I have view stems from that persons’ personal life so they turn to smoking marijuana or drinking constantly. It’s interesting how it cost so much over time to do these things but in the moment money is the last thing on their mind when they are trying to forget about their problems for a while.

Now that we are half way through the semester, I feel like I have learned a lot of valuable skills that I can tie into my life. I have noticed a difference on my day to day schedule of how mindful I have become. Before this class, I was an anxious person and I had a hard time concentrating. Now I practice a few of the skills that we have learned and they have made my life a lot more relaxing and my focus is much more better. The picture I have chosen expresses the calm I now feel in my life.

for picture : https://www.theodysseyonline.com/calm-after-tough-semester

« »

© 2019 Ceci's UNIV 391:Science of Happiness. Theme by Anders Norén.