Blog Post #1

Over the past five weeks, I have learned a lot about myself through this class. I now understand the difference from what I thought was anxieties and depressions and what it actually is and, knowing that, I can apply it to my lifestyle. The first couple of classes dealt with understanding nature and nurture and how they coincide with genetics to make you who you are. What stood out the most in this class throughout the first five weeks was the Keye’s Model. Looking over the model, it made perfect sense; low mental illness and flourishing ideally went together since that is clearly where everyone wants to be at. But when we got to high mental illness and flourishing, it threw a curve ball at me because I, honestly, thought it was “stupid and impossible to have both”. You see, many people have mental illnesses and certain strengths and weaknesses about themselves that they choose to let make or break them.            For instance, take two people with anxiety that is through the roof. One of them is the “classical case” of anxiety: takes anti-anxiety medication to help them relax, constantly worried about what’s next or what is uncertain about their future. The other person, however, also suffers from anxiety and takes the medication from time-to-time, yet they have practiced being mindful (the 2-3 minutes we take at the beginning of each class), they have a good grip on bringing themselves back to reality and realize that they can control a good amount of what happens to them. They are essentially flourishing despite their mental illness. That is what I have taken away from the first five weeks of class. I learned to take what you are given and to be the best you that you can be. I have learned that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. Take your strengths and flourish.