Atlantic Coast Pipeline Constuction

Atlantic Coast Pipeline Podcast

Works Cited

“Atlantic Coast Pipeline – Wild Virginia.” Wild Virginia, 2015, http://wildvirginia.org/our-programs/fracking/dominion-pipeline/. Accessed 22 April 2017.

“Environmental impacts of fracking.” Source Watch, 21 Dec. 2015, http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Environmental_impacts_of_fracking. Accessed 27 April 2017.

Murphy, Ryan. “Protesters, advocates speak out on Atlantic Coast Pipeline at federal hearing in Suffolk.” The Virginian Pilot, 16 Feb. 2017, http://pilotonline.com/news/local/environment/protesters-advocates-speak-out-on-atlantic-coast-pipeline-at-federal/article_fe161fcf-1c9c-5747-b37f-3761bde7c6bd.html. Accessed 22 April 2017.

Nelson, Jerry. “Atlantic Coast Pipeline Ignores Environmental Realities and Dangers.” Huffington Post, 27 Feb. 2017, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/atlantic-coast-pipeline-ignores-environmental-realities_us_58b2e99de4b0e5fdf6197381. Accessed 22 April 2017.

“Why Natural Gas.” Atlantic Coast Pipeline, https://atlanticcoastpipeline.com/about/why-natural-gas.aspx. Accessed 26 April 2017.

Mission Log 2

The Problem: The Atlantic Coast pipeline can contribute to environmental decline in the surrounding areas of its construction, and the demand for the natural gas may not outweigh the negative environmental impact.

The Shareholders:

• Environmentalists
  • Homeowners
  • Dominion
  • Duke Energy
  • Piedmont Natural Gas
  • Southern Company
  • Animals
    • Endangered species
  • Environment

The Evidence:

• According to the website WildVirginia, the pipeline can impose yet another threat to endangered species and their fragile habitats.
  • The pipeline will decrease the scenic value of the areas that it cuts through (WildVirginia).
  • The proposed compensation will take time to cultivate into a proper equivalent to the land destroyed in the process of constructing the pipeline.
  • The proposed compensation land will not and cannot serve as a replacement habitat to the animals that are driven out due to construction.
  • The proposed method of extracting the natural gas is hydraulic fracking (Horn, Steve and Itai Vardi, Trump Team has Ties to Atlantic Coast Pipeline Now Being Pushed by White House), which is a new method of extracting natural gas.
  • All of the negative consequences resulting from hydraulic fracking have yet to be explored.
  • Natural gas pipeline accidents can be deadly (Nelson, Jerry, Atlantic Coast Pipeline Ignores Environmental Realities and Dangers).

Resources (will be changed into Works Cited)

http://wildvirginia.org/our-programs/fracking/dominion-pipeline/

https://www.desmogblog.com/2017/02/06/trump-ties-atlantic-coast-pipeline

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/atlantic-coast-pipeline-ignores-environmental-realities_us_58b2e99de4b0e5fdf6197381

Mission Log 1

Background Information: There are plentiful natural gas reservoirs in West Virginia that Dominion Power wants to tap into and transfer down to their plant off the coast of North Carolina. As a result, the company wants to construct a pipeline that will streamline the gas to its plant. The pipeline will span across West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina for a total of 600 miles. The pipeline traverses “environmentally sensitive” land that is not suitable for construction due to being prone to sinkholes and steep hillsides. Ten easements have been proposed to the revision of the project lands with 1100 acres of compensation, which the company deems fair; however, opponents are still iffy on the deal.

Problem: Environmentalists fear that the necessity of the pipeline does not outweigh the environmental cost that the pipeline will impose. The pipeline also crosses through several private properties, which can be claimed through eminent domain. However, owners are not overjoyed that their properties will be taken for the use of constructing a natural gas pipeline. The methods used to extract natural gas are not the most environmentally friendly. The newest method in extracting natural gas is fracking, and scientists are unsure of all of the environmental effects of fracking.

Need to Know:

1) How does Dominion plan to extract the natural gas?

2) How will Dominion ensure that there are no leaks in natural gas while it is being transferred and how will they respond if there is a leak?

A Question of Ethics

Step 1: Singer advises in The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle that we, as individuals should start weening away from our mindset that we should work and strive for material-based success. Singer pleads that basing our worth and energy in acquiring more money to benefit our own social and economic status is pointless and is the cause of the problems in our world (“The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle”). The environmental disasters and global injustices stem from our lack of ethics, in which we choose jobs and activities that benefit our pursuit of material-wealth and success over our ethics in preserving the environmental and production integrity (Singer, “The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle”). In order to correct this unethical pursuit, we must, as individuals, start working to get ourselves back on the ethical path and then teach our next of kin to do the same. Only by doing so will we as a society be able to change and finally diverge from this materialistic based path and work towards righting our wrongs (Singer, “The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle”).

Step 2&3: The moral answers to the two ethical questions that Peter Singer asks in The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle are both yes. Yes, you should save the drowning child despite their gender, age, race, and distance. In this day and age, the pyramid of priorities has managed to expand past individual and familial safety and security to caring about the safety and security of others, even strangers. This moral standard is not shared in every community, however, because in some communities personal and familial safety and security is not commonplace. Examples of such places is war ridden zones and lesser developed countries. If I were to be asked the question, I would of course answer yes. My parents raised me to be sharing and caring. They told me to always be grateful for what I have and therefore be humble and modest. Not everyone was able to have a nice, peaceful childhood like me. There were people in this world that suffered more than I did. My problems were miniscule in comparison, and helping others would always be ideal. However, in this world, everything is not as simple as just that. I am ridden with the fear of failure in the case of something as serious as witnessing someone drowning, I feel like I would honestly freeze up over act, especially if other bystanders are present at the scene. Fearing that I would mess up and make the situation even worse than it originally was by possibly putting both the victim and myself in danger of drowning, I would anxiously watch from the sidelines, calling for help and assistance. Truthfully, I would love to be the hero that steps up and rescues the person in need, but in all actuality, I know that I would inevitably fall prey to the bystander effect and standby in shock, frozen in time and space as the tragedy unfolds. I do not particularly like this about myself, but I know it will be difficult for me to change. Heroes are heroes for a reason. They have the courage to overcome this plague called the bystander effect and act on their morals. Not many people can actually overcome this feat, despite their moral integrity.

Singer, Peter. “The Drowning Child and the Expanding Circle.” New Internationalist, 5 April 1997. https://newint.org/features/1997/04/05/drowning/. Accessed 6 April 2017.

Process Memo Unit 2

I decided to focus on the topic of construction in Richmond and surrounding areas to determine the effects it had on the environment and citizens in the afflicted areas. I found it interesting how people supported the projects and opposed them. Most articles took a neutral standpoint and let their sources speak their opinions. There was only one article that I found that strongly supported a project and provided solid details to back their point of view. Overall, though, it was pretty difficult to find suitable substantive articles regarding my topic. Most articles were either too broad, were not what I was looking for, or were purely factual. What I did learn from all of these articles, both the ones I used and didn’t, was actually very interesting. I had never known that there were actually programs that the EPA uses to measure and estimate how much pollution is generated by certain areas and plan the best places for construction in order to mitigate additional pollution. I learned so much and found a lot of that information would be cool to teach my peers, yet sadly some of it strayed a bit too far from the overarching topic, so I was forced to cut it out of my lesson plan. Honestly, teaching is a lot harder than it looks. Creating a lesson plan that will be effective with students is difficult. There is a boundary between giving activities that are productive, fun, and mature enough for college students and personally I found it difficult to find a multitude of activities that jived together to meet all of these fields. Some of my group members found these outlets for teaching more readily than I did, which I found amazing. I found it interesting how well our group responded to Ty’s activities of a crossword and definition charades. They thoroughly enjoyed the activities and were actively learning. I wish I had thought of those two activities myself, because they seemed to work wonders.

Loadout/Field Manual Questions

1. How has construction in Richmond affected the environment in times past? (Basic)
  2. Has construction been linked to excess air pollution, noise pollution, and/or other forms of pollution? (Basic)
  3. What are measures that can be taken to reduce these forms of pollution? (Data)

Lock & Key 8

Lock: I found it interesting that the two articles were published on the same day about the same topic and held similar viewpoints on the transgressions that took place and the topic at hand. Do you think that reading the two articles from authors of two different settings and backgrounds influence influence you to feel one way or the other about the topic yourself?

Key: I agree with Williams that the monuments are not the best for public display in a city, and should be placed in a museum to preserve history, but not disturb peace of mind.

Williams, Michael. “Williams: It’s time for Confederate monuments to come down.” Richmond Times-Dispatch, 25 Jun. 2015, http://www.richmond.com/news/local/michael-paul-williams/article_3edc3670-9d34-54f9-a988-1d55e98f9691.html. Accessed 17 Mar. 2017.

Kytle, Ethan & Blain Roberts. “Take Down the Confederate Flags, but Not the Monuments.” The Atlantic, 25 Jun. 2015, https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/06/-confederate-monuments-flags-south-carolina/396836/. Accessed 17 Mar. 2017.

Lock & Key 7

Lock: I found the paragraph explaining that one perk about college is that it you have the opportunity to debate with peers about topics and subjects very interesting, especially the part about how the classroom is where you develop ideas and receive different perspectives and the dorm room is where you solidify them and make them yours (Deresiewicz 82). Should classrooms stimulate more discussions between peers and allow for more time to think over and solidify the knowledge gained in order to enhance learning growth? Should homework become more interactive with peers in order to facilitate these productive interactions?

Key: The structuring of the piece reminded me of a bulleted list, but with detailed explanations of the points and put into paragraph form. I found this paper structure to come off as concise and succinct while remaining captivating and informative, especially when the author repeated the starting phrase of “College is…” (Deresiewicz).

Lock & Key 6

Lock: “Outside, beyond the store’s threshold, a streetscape is being reinvented. Broken is becoming new” (Small). Are family owned businesses being threatened with the coming of the new. Why do people fancy the brighter, newer places and things over stores with years of experience and the same storefronts that they have retained for generations sometimes?

Key: Family owned businesses carry a sort of pride, honor, and history to their name, which in part, is why I believe that they retain such quality service and are so working.  “I have no excuse, none at all, and I tell young people that today” (Waller).