“My Challenge To You”

This challenge certainly is difficult, with the influence of media and technology in the modern day. One topic that I can think up of would be any type of sports but specifically martial arts. When I think of martial arts, it’s a physical activity that requires you to be active and present. I’d reckon that it’s challenging to learn martial arts digitally because there’s no one to asses your movements if it’s correct or wrong. There are also different types of test that you have to go through in order to move on to the next level.  Also, I believe that it’s different learning martial arts through an actual teacher that’s physically present than digitally.

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 1.31.51 PM

Man-Computer Symbiosis- Nugget 2

“Although detailed discussion of techniques of automatic speech recognition is beyond the present scope, it is fitting to note that computing machines are playing a dominant role in the development of automatic speech recognizers. They have contributed the impetus that accounts for the present optimism, or rather for the optimism presently found in some quarters.”

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 11.46.20 PM

When I read this paragraph I began to think about the technological advances that we humans have experienced. It also reminds me different types of speech recognition like Apple “Siri” and the Galaxy S voice. There are many applications or “apps” in the market today that provide either free or paid speech recognition system. I, myself, do not believe that computers and other machines alike will take over the world someday but I do think that in the near future our generation will become more dependent on them. I started to picture a scene in my head of what it will be like in 20 years.  There is a possibility that are computers are going to be thinner and lighter, maybe even paper thin.

Brainstorming for Inquiry Project

Umbrella Categories:

1. Habits
  • Nail biting
  • Drinking
  • Staying up late
  • Lying
  • Oversaving
  • Overspend
  • Checking social media
  • Smoking
  • Picking scabs
  • Procrastination
  • Organize
  • Staring at strangers
  • Stealing
  • Littering
  • Speeding
  1. Trends
  • Planking
  • Silly bands
  • Crop tops
  • “YOLO”
  • Gangnam Style
  • Ray Bans sunglasses
  • Memes
  • Snapchat
  • Instagram
  • Twerking
  • Breaking Bad
  • Game of Thrones
  • Edgy
  • Tumblr
  • Tweeting
  1. Gender
  • Feminine
  • Transgender
  • Pangender
  • Neutral
  • Transsexual
  • Intrasex
  • Sexual
  • Asexual
  • Heterosexual
  • Homosexual
  • Cisgender
  • Metrosexual
  • Hermaphrodite
  • Masculine
  • Lady
  1. Controversies
  • Gay Marriages
  • Antivaccines
  • War
  • NSA
  • Privacy
  • Gun control law
  • Legalization of marijuana
  • Animal Poaching
  • Scientology
  • Cloning
  • Genetic modification
  • Lethal Injection
  • Bullfighting
  • Abortion
  • Nanotechnology
  1. Places or Spaces
  • Grand Canyon
  • Elevators
  • Paris
  • Tokyo tower
  • Cruise ship
  • Boxes
  • Richmond
  • California
  • Greece
  • Venice
  • Under the table
  • Sydney Opera house
  • Caribbean Island
  • Germany
  • Spain
  1. Fears
  • Height
  • Clowns
  • Sharp objects
  • Darkness
  • Failure
  • Bees
  • Hospitals
  • Ghost
  • Fire
  • Insects
  • Flying
  • Death
  • Confined spaces
  • Fear of people
  • Fear of dentist
  1. Footwear
  • Sneakers
  • Heels
  • Wedges
  • Duck boots
  • Stilettos
  • Sandals
  • Nike
  • Adidas
  • Frye boots
  • Leather shoes
  • Jordans
  • Crocs
  • Espadrilles
  • Clogs
  • Shape-ups
  1. Obsessions
  • Cleanliness
  • Neatness
  • Pyromania
  • War obsessions
  • Sex
  • Posting on social media
  • Music
  • Stamps
  • Collecting old coins
  • Antiques
  • Weed
  • Alcohol
  • Food
  • Politics
  • Gambling

Associate Trails

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 12.06.34 AM

Looking at my browsing history I realize that I am an easily distracted person. My thought process would focus on the topic that I am researching about, but then it would move on to sites like facebook and other entertainment websites.  This, however, doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I have always been known as someone who can’t focus easily by my friends and parents. What did catch me off guard was how much research I like to do about the topic I am writing about.

I think my browsing history lets me realize my weakness when it comes to being focus but it also gives me an insight of how much I like to find other interesting that’s related to my topic. It also clearly and accurately reflects my thought process. In my nugget post, I first picked a paragraph that caught my eye. It then developed from there. At first I meant to write about breakthroughs that are specifically in the science field but as I dig deeper I realize that technology also applies. Being somewhat a technology fanatic, but not quiet a master, I began to incorporate the curved glass. It was quiet the rave a couple of months ago and I thought it would fit perfectly into my nugget.

As We May Think- Nugget

As I continue to read “As We May Think” from the first paragraph until the last word, this specific paragraph caught my eye.

“To make the record, we now push a pencil or tap a typewriter. Then comes the process of digestion and correction, followed by an intricate process of typesetting, printing, and distribution. To consider the first stage of the procedure, will the author of the future cease writing by hand or typewriter and talk directly to the record? He does so indirectly, by talking to a stenographer or a wax cylinder; but the elements are all present if he wishes to have his talk directly produce a typed record. All he needs to do is to take advantage of existing mechanisms and to alter his language.” – Vannevar Bush 

This particular paragraph caught my eye because it made me think. You may think that’s a silly thing to say but it made me think in a way that gave me innovation and hope. This paragraph made me think of the many technological advance and breakthrough that happened in the 1900s until present day. For example, we now have computers as opposed to typewriters. We also have tablets as an alternative to computers and laptops. The development of the internet in the 1950s was also something that was mind blowing, and it is something that we currently utilize everyday. These advance doesn’t only apply in the technology field but it also applies in the world of science.

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 11.43.44 PM

As someone who is highly interested in both technology and the science field I get a feeling of excitement and fear when a new discovery is made. Recently, Samsung and LG released a line of curved products. An example of it would be Samsung curved TV and Samsung Galaxy Round.

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 11.56.33 PM

The release of a curved display maximizes the display and allows a better view to be displayed on a smartphone. Innovations like this makes me reflect back on Vannevar Bush last sentence of the paragraph:

All he needs to do is to take advantage of existing mechanisms and to alter his language.”

As long as there’s a pre-existing idea or concept, a smartphone glass display, we can turn it into a whole new idea or bring that innovation to something that is completely different, a curved glass display.

Feeling About Thinking

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.05.49 PM

“How does it feel when I think?” Never in my life have I ever thought of pondering about the answer to this question. When I think I simply focus on the topic I am thinking about, but I do tend to go off topic  here and there. From time to time, depending on the subject, I associate my thoughts with emotions and feelings. It paints a more clear and in depth picture of the issue. I normally don’t just think about important matters like school, work, and friends but I also think about irrelevant things like “What kind of ice cream flavor do I want to eat?” and “Which bra should I wear?”

So, “how does it feel when I think?” When I think, it feels like I’m riding a roller coaster because sometimes an idea would pop in my head and after I formulate that idea into a plan, it then turns into a completely different idea and the cycle repeats. Even though it’s a roller coaster ride one of my favorite things to do is to “think” or put myself in another person’s shoes. This always helps me create the best decision to make and also gives me an idea or perspective of the person I am thinking about.

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 11.40.21 PM
http://blog.southeastpsych.com/author/mmoore/

We humans, animals and other creatures alike think for 365 days a year and it never cease to amaze me how many ideas I can conjure up from a simple gif. or blogpost. I’m curious as to the infinite possibilities that I can think up from here on out. It’s limitless.

Hello World Again

Hello world, again. My name is Jeni and I’m currently going to be a sophomore in the fall. I take interest in science but not mathematics, and I absolutely love chemistry. The phrase Hello World reminds me of the time when I tried to learn C++. As curious as I was I wasn’t able to master the C++ language due to the difficulty of it for me. Screen Shot 2014-06-09 at 11.34.16 PM

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.