Final Reflection - Clarity in thinking is being specific and showing understanding in what you’re trying to communicate. We make our thinking visible so that others know what and how we are thinking. Thinking dispositions are what separate “good thinkers” from “not-so-good-thinkers”. They are what guide our thinking behavior. We make our thinking visible by creating. We can … Continue reading Final Reflection Read More
What’s the Take-Away? -   https://audioboom.com/boos/171721-thinking-out-loud-2-share-stack Throughout this course, I can see that I have definitely expanded  my knowledge on the aspect of thinking. I came into this course believing that thinking was a natural and free-flowing process, an automatic response. Diving deep down … Continue reading Read More
Reflection - I think that clarity in thinking is when you can express what you are thinking in more than one way. People say that you never really understand something until you can put it into your own words and I agree. We did a lot of work exploring different ways of expressing our thinking. Making our…

Continue reading

Read More
Community Connect – I LOVE MUSIC! - I reviewed the #musicchat ongoing tweet and was thrilled at the music that I was introduced to. One user in this chat shared a live video of The Swingles singing an acapella version of After the Storm, a song by … Continue reading Read More
Finding My Groove - “Future Teacher Finds Her Groove” This week I have used Malchako’s comparison of thinking to grooves on the top of Jello. By pouring spoonfuls of water on top of a flat piece of Jello, it creates grooves that turn into tunnels. These grooves and tunnels are representative of how deep our thinking is. But pouring … Continue reading Finding My Groove Read More
A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words - Taken from: http://data.tumblr.com/14714506_400.jpg This week I have learned the importance of visual thinking. I am a visual thinker by nature but I was able to expand on my thinking process by apply multiple and different thinking concepts. By mapping and my … Continue reading Read More
It Doesn’t Need to Be Perfect (“Shut Up and Draw!”) - This week’s module, “Articulating & Documenting,” really required us to go beyond the more traditional methods of thinking, asking us to instead rely on our more creative and visual forms of expression. For what I’m sure there are a dozen different reasons, I very early on decided that drawing and creativity were to be separated from […]… Read More
Metaphors are a New Pair of Glasses - Image Source: https://goo.gl/1DOsi6 We learned a lot about metaphors this week. Sometimes it is easier to communicate through using something that does not go with the situation that I am trying to explain.  I decided that I am going to try to use more metaphors because I thought that they explained things really well.  I…

Continue reading

Read More
Scaling new mountains to get to new valleys! - I chose this picture to make a headline because it shows a an standing on top of a hill which he must have had to make some effort to get to the top of, as he looks upon a mountain which I imagine he wants to conquer eventually. Like this picture I too have climbed … Continue reading Scaling new mountains to get to new valleys! Read More
Mapping My Musical Mind -   I I decided to draw out my Mind Map by hand! I thought it would be fun and I was right! I picked four Main Topics: Performing, Music, Audience, and Preparation. Performing: It makes a difference to some people whether or not they are performing a solo piece or within an ensemble and the … Continue reading Mapping My Musical Mind Read More
Mapping My Mind with HAPPINESS -   Above is the Mind Map that i created using the Mindomo app. This visual representation of my thoughts on “paper” helped me realize a few things about my project. Every aspect of what I’m thinking about that defines what … Continue reading Read More
purrgress report - I broke my mind map into two major categorize: cat’s benefits and kids benefits. Under cats benefits I have socialization, because it is good if the cat can get used to meeting new people so they might be more keen on meeting new families that visit them in the shelter,  adoption, they get more time…

Continue reading

Read More
MIND MAP!!! -   In my mind map I asked the questions which my website will answer, I did not want to give too much away but the real questions are how does someone get into a situation were they really have to strive to succeed and in the end do they? These are the questions that do … Continue reading MIND MAP!!! Read More
Power Reflection Week 5 - Interviewed: Kristen Davis Me and Kristen’s interviews of eachother were great, both of us were excited to answer these questions and we did over google docs which was kind of bland but its ok because the information we attained from eachothers experience so far in the course was rich enough to get past the medium … Continue reading Power Reflection Week 5 Read More
Reflect x5 - The interview I did was with my classmate Michael and we it was conducted via Google Docs. (Me): As you reflect on these last 4 to 5 weeks’ of course work, which one(s) of the Artful Thinking and/or Tishman, Jay … Continue reading Read More
Step Inside a Performance Artist’s Perspective -   -From you tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS0Tg0IjCp4 I wonder what these people will take from my performance art here today. I hope that this makes them question things on a deeper level. It’s so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day … Continue reading Read More
Artfully Thinking - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3551264/Woman-whose-plight-defined-Great-Depression-warns-tragedy-will-happen-again.html “He should’ve been home by now. . . his shift ended 45 mins ago. Where could he be? Maybe he stopped to pick up food. What is he doing?  Maybe he’s seeing someone else. Why isn’t he home? Is he in trouble? Oh God, please don’t be in trouble. What if he’s in trouble? … Continue reading Artfully Thinking Read More
Reflection - I did my interview with Olivia and Stephanie. We decided to do a trio because none of us had partners yet. We decided to conduct the interview via google docs. We typed each question out and then put each of our responses down underneath. I thought this would be good as opposed to a video-chat…

Continue reading

Read More
Reflecting with Others - For my Module 5 Reflection Post, I interviewed Emily via GoogleDocs: Which one(s) of the Artful Thinking and/or Tishman, Jay & Perkins’ Model of thinking dispositions were you most aware of developing in your own learning? I did not realise that I used the Connect-Extend-Challenge model of Jay & Perkins’ Model of Thinking Disposition until … Continue reading Reflecting with Others Read More
Thinking Dispositions Interview – Emily & Olivia’s Perspective - For this assignment, I interviewed classmates Emily Bennett and Olivia Sturgill, where we collectively discussed our experiences and understanding of the thinking dispositions and routines we have been exploring these past few modules. By using a shared Google Doc, we were all able to act as interviewers and interviewees, where we could ask and answer each other’s […]… Read More
Hi! I’m Taylor! - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/–Ow3ivXAZTg/UOP3PNIQ6TI/AAAAAAAAAfY/SekdDEKy7AM/s1600/Taylor+Swift+22.jpg Hi! I’m Taylor! I spend most of my time going from city to city while I am touring. All of my shows sold out in minutes. Performing in front of my fans is one of the best things in the world. I am so thankful that my fans have stuck with me for so…

Continue reading

Read More
Final Project Inquiry 3!! - For my final project I have been between two subjects, hardwork and perservance and the factors that enable success and the second topic, video games and its effect on hard skills and innate skills. But  after talking with professor K last night I have decided to stick with my first topic and now that I … Continue reading Final Project Inquiry 3!! Read More
Pain is all I know and understand. - http://41.media.tumblr.com/e14cdd0c97e742a2e71304a487c368d6/tumblr_n0jooou83Z1s593tro1_1280.jpg My name is John Cardiel, and in this photo all I am truly feeling  pain and defeat. Many would think that I am feeling angry but I am just frustrated that I knew I had it but I guess boardsliding a double kink handrail and rolling away was not my fate today. I know … Continue reading Pain is all I know and understand. Read More
Final Purrject Checkpoint - For my final project I am at a good point. I know what I need to do and where I am going with my project. I have been connected to a teacher to talk about reading skills in young students. I just need to actually contact everyone with my interview questions now. I still think…

Continue reading

Read More
Take 3: Happiness - Where am I at in the process? I am starting to come up with a list of names of people in my immediate circle of contact that I can interview. I interact with a very eclectic blend of people so … Continue reading Read More
Happiness is a collection of adjectives - I actually spent quite a bit of time looking through these galleries, searching for different key words, and figuring out through this process what I defined as happiness. To me happiness is a collection of adjectives: freedom, love, family, friends, … Continue reading Read More
Reading and Art - https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/asset-viewer/untitled-sc-ab-102-2001/FQHnTNMpp7xveg?hl=en&projectId=art-project I was inspired by my final project when I created this gallery. I tried to find a variety of pictures that depicted some sort of reading. One of my favorite pictures that I chose was the Sophie Coombs. It is a picture of a book but when you look closely it is all just…

Continue reading

Read More
My Gallery Make-FUN!! - The link to my web gallery is https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/user-gallery-edit/TgJitJ-3HpkVKg?projectId=art-project The word I went off of was “fun”, primarily because I feel it is a feeling many people can relate too and alot of the  reason why choose to do art, its just fun. The reason I chose these photos specifically was because they emit some type of … Continue reading My Gallery Make-FUN!! Read More
Reflection: Like an onion. - I’m sure most have you have seen the movie Shrek. When beginning to write this reflection, I instantly thought of a scene in this movie: Shrek: For your information, there’s a lot more to ogres than people think. Donkey: Example? … Continue reading Read More
Inquiry Project Update #2 - This week my progress in my quest to find what makes people happy, I have developed the interview questions that I wish to ask every person I am interviewing. What would you define happiness as? What makes you happy? How … Continue reading Read More
Be inquisitive! - Looking back on the group project, it seems rather evident that the thinking process used was Connect, Extend, Challenge. We all seemed to first engage in the topic of food insecurity with stories or analogies of the topic that we readily had … Continue reading Read More
Understanding Food Insecurity & College Students Using Compass Points - Upon reviewing some of the Thinking Routines (found on the visiblethinkingpz.org site), I decided to use the “Compass Points” Thinking Routine–“a routine [that is used for] examining propositions.” Although the prompt/questions that our group used to guide our final product does not exactly discuss a direct proposition related to the issue of food insecurity, using the…

Continue reading

Read More
#F5F – Find Five Friday - 1. Gretchen Rubin – author of The Happiness Project @gretchenrubin Gretchen Rubin’s book, The Happiness Project, was a major source of inspiration for me in choosing t  he topic for my final inquiry project.   2. Yvonne Montoya – @YvonneLMontoya I first read about Yvonne Montoya in an article I found when searching for related sources concerning food insecurity…

Continue reading

Read More
Connections are Everything - I feel that when it comes to questions I was always the worst at asking the right ones. I always felt like there were so many, how would I know which one to ask. Being in this course the past few weeks as invigorated my focus on what should be asked, I may not be … Continue reading Connections are Everything Read More
Final Project Inquiry - For my final project I wanted to look at how people who grew up playing video games have been affected by it. In the sense of a greater ability to problem solve, becoming desensitized to certain situations or a better ability of knowing ones surroundings and dealing with changes in said surroundings. I have found … Continue reading Final Project Inquiry Read More
New Understanding - In the group project about food insecurity I think we all put in some good information that many of us may not have known about. But to analyze how I understood it, I will use the thinking routine “Connect Extend Challenge”. There were many things that I knew prior about people not getting enough food … Continue reading New Understanding Read More
Turning Failure into Success - This week was unexpectedly hectic for me in the “Theme Park Entertainment” business. I didn’t gauge how much extra time would be spent at work doing extra rehearsals but thank goodness, it’s the end of the week. I hate getting behind on schoolwork because I always feel like I am way worse off than I … Continue reading Turning Failure into Success Read More
Practicing Thinking Routines - CONNECT: Many college students face food insecurity. I knew that Virginia Commonwealth University has some food banks for people that need to use it. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that the people frequenting these food banks would be college students just like me! EXTEND: My thinking has been pushed on an empathetic … Continue reading Practicing Thinking Routines Read More
Stage (2) Fright - This week, I have drafted a list of questions to help focus and direct the musicians that I will interview in the future weeks: What instrument do you play?  How many years have you been performing? When have you felt the most nervous to perform? Describe the feelings that you had during those experiences. What … Continue reading Stage (2) Fright Read More
Final Project Progress - My final project has been going okay. There is a lot of information about programs that have been put into place for kids to read to animals There has been a lot of good consequences coming out of the program. It is very easy to research. The thing that I have been having trouble with…

Continue reading

Read More
Questions? Anyone? - There is no doubt in my mind that questions are very important. There is no way anything could get done well without people asking questions. We have what we have today because someone asked how to improve. How to improve communication, government, technology, anything really. That being said I almost never ask questions. I usually…

Continue reading

Read More
Thinking Routines - I used the connect-extend-challenge method when I reviewed our group work.  The questions that we fallowed really demonstrated how we used the connect-extend-challenge method. We really focused on connecting when we answered the question “What can you compare too?”. Usually when I am given a set of questions “what can you compare too?”  is one…

Continue reading

Read More
Inspirations - Ella Fitzgerald has been a huge inspiration for me the past 4 years during college. One of my biggest fears/anxieties has been performing on stage and messing up.  Ella, of course, is one of the greats in music but she would sometimes struggle to remember all the right words to her songs. In the video … Continue reading Inspirations Read More
Why I Write - I write for my peers who inspire me who offer themselves to me; their interpretations their ideas their styles their suggestions I write for my teachers who guide me who offer all they have to me; their time their experiences their resources their support I write for my family who raised me who gave their love…

Continue reading

Read More
My Creativity! - trim.CAB94D7B-962D-45E3-9E28-677B335BD269 In the picture above is me after throwing myself down a set of stairs for about an hour and not coming away with a make. I believe that many would define this situation and being slightly insane but it makes up a good part of me and how I live my life, “never give … Continue reading My Creativity! Read More
Stage (1) Fright - When I was in the 6th grade, I started playing trumpet in my school band. I was very passionate about band and that lead me to practice everyday and all that practicing put me in 1st chair of my band. I was so proud of myself and excited to play solos…until I found out that … Continue reading Stage (1) Fright Read More
The disposition to be planful and strategic - If there was one thinking perspective that I’d say I needed to work on it be the perspective to be planful and strategic but not in the same way as the article portrays. I’m very good at setting goals and … Continue reading Read More
Pushing our limits!!! -           If a Thought Could be Seen : By Michael Sharma If a thought could be seen then maybe it would be, just like the wind and the sea, living just like me. If a thought could never be seen, then it probably, would be, gone forever, to you and me. … Continue reading Pushing our limits!!! Read More
Power Reflection 3! - I really enjoyed listening to Olivia’s audio post. I recently started to pick up piano and have been self-teaching. I had played cello from fourth grade up until my junior year of high school. I was never perpetually good at music but I had a basic ability to play. I liked Olivia’s point about how…

Continue reading

Read More
Final Project Inquiry!!!! -     With my project I wanted to look at the perseverance of human beings to push past barriers that they may posses. But I am finding it extremely hard to find a way to help in that area. If someone is born in a low-income area and I want to test his perseverance to … Continue reading Final Project Inquiry!!!! Read More
Inquiry Project: Happiness - I have always been very interested in what other people define as happiness and what they believe makes them happy so I thought what better topic to choose to question for this course! I plan on interviewing people of all … Continue reading Read More
Final Project!?! - I started out with two ideas for my final project. One was about why how people stop asking questions and why they stop asking questions. I decided that that idea would be too hard to do. I did not really know where I was going to go with and or how to actually study it.…

Continue reading

Read More
Revised Make for 100MAKE - Online recording software >> So this is a revisit to my 100Make! This was a new and interesting experience (as much of the lessons in this course have been). Please let me know what you guys think, I love having … Continue reading Read More
Finding Happiness After Loss - I’m definitely beginning  to have a better idea of what exactly will be the focus for my final inquiry project. I bought The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin almost a year ago, about a month or so after my dad passed away. I was desperate to find some source of guidance and advice in trying…

Continue reading

Read More
Observation at VMFA - My observation was completed at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.  Right away, the building structure captures your attention. The architecture is art, in itself.  You are met at the main entrance by two sets of four bold glass doors. Once you are in, you are struck by the beauty of an extremely high ceiling. … Continue reading Observation at VMFA Read More
Reflect, reflect, reflect. - Thinking about thinking is an interesting process. I often think, “Am I overthinking this assignment or not thinking enough about this assignment?” In Stephanie’s reflection this week, the first question that she asked herself was EXACTLY what I have been … Continue reading Read More
Sincerely, The Past - Dear Past Self, I look at you and see holes that have been filled through experiences this week! I have strengthened myself through learning about Food Insecurity and the negative impact it has on young college students. From this knowledge, I have become aware of what I need to be aware of in our field … Continue reading Sincerely, The Past Read More
100Make - When I think of thoughts, I think of dreams and imagination. I think of a world that has been created to one’s own perfection. I think of a world that allows one to believe that anything is possible. As kids, we think about and imagine a lot. It’s completely innocent. Our ability to create with our minds … Continue reading 100Make Read More
An Interview for Module 2 - Q: How do you feel you have been doing in the class so far? What have you done well, and where could you improve? A: I feel as though I’ve really embraced some of the prompts and activities assigned for this class. I think it is apparent when an idea or thought resonates with me,…

Continue reading

Read More
Reflect2 - Dear Past Self, It is okay to not have any idea what you want to do for your final project. You will figure it out. I went into this week not knowing what I wanted to do for the final project. To be honest, I really did not know how I was going to get…

Continue reading

Read More
Reflection 2- Is this the way the world should be? - Dear Michael Sharma, I am writing you a letter because I am interested in your thoughts on how the world works. I know that in this past week the idea of opening your eyes to your surroundings is a hard concept mainly because we see what we want to see. Seeing with new eyes has … Continue reading Reflection 2- Is this the way the world should be? Read More
No way the Hundred is There - In the poem “No way the hundred is there” there are many ideas can be seen as being very contextual or metaphorical. This makes it very hard to decipher the true meaning behind it, but using a couple of the facets I tried to see it in a different way. First I saw through the … Continue reading No way the Hundred is There Read More
Slightly disheartening, don’t you think? - When I read Loris Malaguzzi’s “No way. The Hundred is There.” poem, I began to feel a little sad. I thought, shockingly, as to how true this perspective can be from a child’s view. “They tell the child that work and play, … Continue reading Read More
“A Whole New World” - I am an avid observer. I love to people watch and I am hyper-sensitive to my surroundings. I chose to put a little twist onto this assignment and instead of choosing an indoor setting, I chose an outdoor setting: the … Continue reading Read More
“Thinking Like a Traveler” in the Office - I’ve been working at VCU Career Services for a little over a year now, and over my time there I have worked with and met so many different types of people. Because I am in the office everyday, I decided to “think like a traveler,” and become more aware of the surroundings and people I…

Continue reading

Read More
Observe - In this video the man talks about how in different countries people do things differently. He makes a funny remark about how un america we have amazing graphic designers yet our money is just green. I have seen how in countries things are more colorful and vibrant. In india the ruppees are beautiful colors of … Continue reading Observe Read More
Active Observation - I chose to do my assignment a little differently. Instead of going to a cafe or store I looked at the camp that I work at. I tried to put myself as a parent or guardian looking for a camp as well as a traveler. The camp is located at the National Cathedral which immediately…

Continue reading

Read More
“And of the Hundred They Steal Ninety-nine” - I can recall fairly distinctly when I first began to doubt myself and my abilities. I was about 6 or 7 years old when I started comparing myself to others, noticing if they were more talented or smarter than I was. My confidence began to plummet as I got older, realizing not what I could…

Continue reading

Read More
100Make -   I took that poem “No Way. The Hundred is There” to mean that a child is made up of many different parts and thoughts even if they are not all completely clear. You cannot always tell if a child speaks a different language. We have no idea what is going on inside their brain.…

Continue reading

Read More

> > > See all of the posts. < < <