Spring 2022

February 2022

My DNP Project Implementation

The past few months have flown by and now I am implementing my DNP project.

My project is entitled :”Exercise Coaching for VCU patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis”. The project is being implemented at VCU Rheumatology in conjunction with VCU Health Quality Improvement. Dr. Rabia Gill, VCU Rheumatologist is the Quality Improvement Director for the Division. She and the Chair, Dr Lawrence  Schwartz with the Associate Director of Quality Improvement, Dr. Georgia McIntosh are sponsors of the project. The patients currently do not have a rheumatology coaching or education program.

We are hoping to recruit 30 patients for the 8 week virtual exercise coach program which has begun this week. With evidence based questionnaires, we will measure: activities of daily living, current exercise using the Pender Health Promotion model, social determinants of health,  stage of change from  the Prochaska Stage of Change Model, and Patient Satisfaction with health care rendered( CSQ-3). A mutual plan of daily & weekly exercise will be developed by the patient and myself. Weekly communication via zoom , face-time or phone will be conducted with each patient to obtain activity log and record qualitative data regarding their physical and emotional well being.

Free exercise videos for people with RA, handouts, links to free apps  and live zoom sessions with me as their coach/exercise instructor are offered to the patients.

All data is recorded in REdcap and will be retrieved for measurement and analysis at project conclusion. The program will be sustained after May with another cohort of  DNP students and possibly Rheumatology fellows . My handoff will entail presentations live and recorded for the new students and I will be available to assist them after May.

The project will submitted for journal publication by May.

I will keep you all posted as the weeks progress!