Jumping (In) with Van Halen and Twitter

Many of our #CuriousCoLab participants will be new to twitter and even more will be new to each other. We have developed the assignment below as an attempt to help get people to start using twitter and to start getting to know each other. What do you think? What changes would yousuggest? Twitter: Might As Well Jump…

Time Is On Our Side

With a month left before the course starts, time is on my mind. In my doctoral program we read Einstein’s Dreams. It is a good read. I recommend it. It is a fictional account of Einstein as a young man working on his theory of relativity. The book is a series of descriptions of the many possible…

Defining Community-Engaged Research

What is community-engaged research (CEnR)? This seems like an important question to consider as we are thinking about developing a course about it. VCU has a definition that was developed by the Council for Community Engagement. Check out the video created by Amy Calhoun during her internship with us. Thanks Amy!   We had a…

Collaborative Curiosity – A Summer Course

The course has been announced! This is what we are saying. We are happy to announce a summer doctoral-level course on community-engaged research (CEnR). Please share widely inside and outside of VCU. CMST 691: Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research May 18 to July 12, 2015 (8 weeks) This course is a MOOC. If you haven’t…

A Piece of the Puzzle

I like puzzles. I do. I enjoy the challenge of examining each piece, determining how it relates to the others – all the while having the “big picture” in mind. It requires intense concentration, an eye for detail, strategy and – above all – patience. The end result of every puzzle is the same: all…

Video Stars!

The filming for the course trailer for CMST 691 Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research has officially started! Last week we came up with the framework for the video – who should be featured, what people should generally say, and how to get it done in a week. Yes, a week. The deadline for course registration was…

Still on the First Page

Here is the second draft of the first page of the syllabus. The plan is to turn our focus to learning activities, and then review the course description, learning goals and competencies again. Of course, all comments are welcome! Course Description (thanks to Laura Gogia @GoogleGuacamole for the connected learning language)  Community-Engaged Research (CEnR) is a…

First Page of the First Draft of the Syllabus

Here is our first pass at a title, course description and learning goals. This is, therefore, the beginning of an actual syllabus. The title came from this blog, which came from the Hurston quote (more on that later). The course description came from Tessa. This is the second draft of it. And the learning goals…