Manic Monday (It’s the FunDay)

CMST 691:Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research starts on Monday. Tomorrow. Since this is the second time we are offering the course there is a part of me that feels like we got this. And then there is the other part of me that thinks about the broken and incorrect links (from when we archived the last course site),…

How’d it all happen

Over the past year we have been talking with people about Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research. People often ask how the course came to be. So, this is how it happened. Three or four years ago, Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) explored the idea of developing a certificate program in community-engaged research (CEnR). What does it mean for…

#CuriousCoLab is Back!

CMST 691 Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research is back! We learned so much last year and are looking forward to doing it again. Over the next month we will be updating the course, and we would appreciate any ideas you have. Check out the course webpage for information on how you can participate. ~Valerie and Tessa…

Jumping (In) with Van Halen and Twitter

Many of our #CuriousCoLab participants will be new to twitter and even more will be new to each other. We have developed the assignment below as an attempt to help get people to start using twitter and to start getting to know each other. What do you think? What changes would yousuggest? Twitter: Might As Well Jump…

Time Is On Our Side

With a month left before the course starts, time is on my mind. In my doctoral program we read Einstein’s Dreams. It is a good read. I recommend it. It is a fictional account of Einstein as a young man working on his theory of relativity. The book is a series of descriptions of the many possible…

Defining Community-Engaged Research

What is community-engaged research (CEnR)? This seems like an important question to consider as we are thinking about developing a course about it. VCU has a definition that was developed by the Council for Community Engagement. Check out the video created by Amy Calhoun during her internship with us. Thanks Amy!   We had a…

Collaborative Curiosity – A Summer Course

The course has been announced! This is what we are saying. We are happy to announce a summer doctoral-level course on community-engaged research (CEnR). Please share widely inside and outside of VCU. CMST 691: Collaborative Curiosity: Designing Community-Engaged Research May 18 to July 12, 2015 (8 weeks) This course is a MOOC. If you haven’t…

A Piece of the Puzzle

I like puzzles. I do. I enjoy the challenge of examining each piece, determining how it relates to the others – all the while having the “big picture” in mind. It requires intense concentration, an eye for detail, strategy and – above all – patience. The end result of every puzzle is the same: all…