A Deconstructed Dissertation

In February 2016, I (Laura Gogia) completed and successfully defended my doctoral dissertation on

DOCUMENTING STUDENT CONNECTIVITY AND USE OF DIGITAL ANNOTATION DEVICES IN VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH UNIVERSITY CONNECTED COURSES: AN ASSESSMENT TOOLKIT FOR DIGITAL PEDAGOGIES IN HIGHER EDUCATION

While this technically is the title of my research, Jen Ross (very nicely) informed me that this title was dense and might not make sense to a lot of people who might still be very interested in the research itself.  This is definitely valid feedback.  Truth be told, I made up this title for the purpose of encompassing every search term or keyword I could identify. When people ask me what the title of my dissertation is I can’t even remember one part of it. Therefore, (and with Jen’s assistance), I’ve given it a nickname that makes a lot more sense to more people: “The (potential) role of digital annotations* in edu-blogging and tweeting assessment.”

The full text of the dissertation is here, but who has time or the inclination to read an entire dissertation?  Instead, I’m breaking my dissertation into its elemental parts.  

a plate of cilantro, tomato, avocado, and lime
Deconstructed Guacamole. Photo by Evan Bench.

I got the idea of desconstruction from the food industry, where a deconstructed meal consists of breaking a traditional dish down to its elements and transforming them individually while still maintaining (or improving) the original essence when the elements are eaten together.  So, in terms of this research…

Interested in the process?  Start here.  Interested in the assessment strategies or course designs?  Start here.  Interested in student handouts? Here you go.  As always, the entire site and everything on it (including the full text of the dissertation) is CC Licensed, BY-SA 4.0 International.  That means give me credit for what I’ve done, share it with others as I’ve shared it with you, and you can do whatever you want with it.

This site is definitely still under construction, but I think there’s enough here to make it useful.  Just keep checking back, because there will almost always be something else to see. I’ve turned off the comments to keep things looking sleek, but if you have questions or comments, you can always find me on Twitter – @googleguacamole.

*Digital annotation devices are symbols or words added to main text of a tweet or blog post to augment or direct its communication or interpretation; they include things like hyperlinks, embedded images, mentions, and hashtags.  The purpose of this dissertation research was to explore how students use these devices in educational settings and how instructors might consider using them to enrich their learning activities and assessment practices.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.