In 2120, the winner is. . .

That’s all, folks. You’ve done it!

Having read a syllabus sampling some of last year’s most lauded books, which book do you think people are most likely to be still reading in 2120? And which is the least likely? Do of course explain your choices with an example from the text.

NOTE: Since The Handmaid’s Tale is still going strong after 35 years, another 100 wouldn’t be as challenging for it to last, so it’s off limits for this assignment.

9 thoughts on “In 2120, the winner is. . .

1. Honestly, my hope is that none of these books are still read in 100 years because it means racial, women, and queer perceptions are still being argued, which would really suck. That being said…

I feel like the book most likely to still be read in 100 years is The Tradition. Jericho Brown’s poetry and prose is beautiful; He speaks on himself and his own struggles, but not in a way other’s can’t relate. As long as there’s people in this world, there will be people struggling with hardships, and the more material out there to connect to, the more people will feel they’re not alone.

The book least likely to make it 100 years is The Testaments. As we talked about at length, it’s pretty much a cash-grab with no lingering thoughts or ideas, and I hope the thing gets retired by 2025.

2. I completely agree with Wynter’s remarks on The Tradition, but I hope we’re still reading Girl, Woman, Other in 2120 (which seems like a fake year). It truly is remarkable as a work written by and about black queer women. There aren’t enough books categorized as “classics” with that kind of representation. Black women writers must be read alongside Hemingway and Atwood. I found the novel to be truly remarkable. So, I guess I disagree with Wynter that none of these books should be read in 2120. If anything it’s extremely important that they are read now and in the far future. We read books like Gatsby, The Scarlett Letter, and basically every “classic” as a method of understanding the past. The kinds of works that we read in this class deserve spots among those on that list because it’s important they these authors and this time gets recognized for what it should be just like all the extremely problematic classics are.

3. As Wynter said, ideally, we would not be reading these books in 2120, but if we realized anything, social issues tend to only grow within 100. I think, like Emily, Girl Woman Other will still be read. The book explains intersectionality and the meaning it represents in the world today. Whether it be to show what Generation Z was like from Yazz and Morgan or how the LGBTQ-IA community functions with feminism, the book is sure to be a description of our time. I believe people in the future will see that and use the book as a source of history to show what 2020 was like.

4. I know that some of my other classmates have already predicted that Bernardine Evaristo’s novel Girl, Woman, Other is the most likely to be read a hundred years into the future, but I have to say that I agree. My main reason being that the novel is very appealing and relatable towards different types of Black women. To name a few, there is Yazz, a young college student who forms a new feminist identity through her new environment and her new group of racially diverse friends, Carole, a businesswoman dealing with daily sexism and racism from her peers (i.e. coworkers, college classmates, clients, etc.), and Megan (Morgan) who is expected to conform to the typical femininity and sexual orientation of a girl. These three and other characters can connect to female readers, especially Black women, because they capture real women’s hopes and struggles which are affected by their sex and race.

5. The winner, in my opinion, is Girl, Women, Other I think is going to be still relevant in 100 years because it focuses on a different type of African American women and their issues which I think is important especially because injustice and systematic racism is still going on to this day it also can reflect on certain situations in the past dealing with women of color. It talks about women who represent diverse cultures and sexual identities. It is also interesting because it is the history of black British women’s experiences from different perspectives of each woman.

6. To everyone saying “ideally we won’t have to read these books in the future.”

I get what point you’re trying to make, but to say it in the manner some of you have put it is bordering on ignorance and completely missing the point of what the impact of literature should be, and I apologize for putting it so bluntly.

These stories are all powerful moments in time encapsulated in their own worlds and the voices of these characters will and should echo in eternity, because that is the point of literature and the power of the written word.

It’s like saying that we don’t need to read the great stories and epic poems of the past because the problems faced by those people have long been solved by the advancement and evolution of society. Forget about any moral lessons or ethical issues that may serve to guide our empathy and teach us a better understanding of right from wrong.

All of these books should be read a thousand years from now, because of the unique influences they have had on all of us. Though the subject matter may evoke strong emotions about the state of our contemporary world, the lessons they provide us with far exceed any discomfort felt by the reader.

That being said, my pick would be Jericho Brown’s “The Tradition,” because in my opinion poetry has the capability to speak directly to the soul, generation after generation. Novels on the other hand, tend to go through periods of revisionist interpretations, with each new generation of readers attempting to make sense of a novel by applying their own thoughts of what is morally and ethically correct and the high crime of claiming to know, “what the author really meant.”

7. As we can all agree The Testaments would most likely be the book at stand 100 more years just because of whats going on with the previous book and the TV show that it has out. The other book that I would like to talk about that I think would make it for the next 100 years is Girl, Woman, Other. The reason I think this is, is, because of the substance of the book and what it talks about. It is addressing current issues in our country right now in the regard of diversity among classes, specific cultures and sexuality. Even though it follows 12 different British women and their identities, many people here can follow and relate to those stories. At the same time if these books are still being read it means we haven’t done a good enough job as a society to accept one another and move past the misunderstanding. I think the least read book in 2120 is going to be The Tradition just because who poetry becoming less and less of a normality for people our ages and moving on into the future it will do the same.

8. I agree with Wynter, I really do hope that none of these books are read in 100 years because that would just show that these topics are still an issue 100 years later. I think the book that will still be read in the next 100 years would be Girl, Women, Other. The book talks about sexuality and diversity. I feel like most people can somewhat relate to the stories told. The least to be read in 100 years, I think would be The Tradition. Poetry isn’t really read often as it was back then, so I don’t think people would still be reading it in 100 years.

9. I agree with those above that said The Tradition by Jericho Brown will be one that still might be read after 100 years. I would argue that On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous might be read, but that’s just bias seeing that I loved that book. But seeing how The Tradition deals with a lot of relatable trauma, social injustice, and powerful poems that can be applicable to today as well as many others in the future. Which of course, like the others said, will hopefully not be the case but seeing as how after 100 years there are issues that still unsolved, it’s likely that the book might become more popular. I agree with Grace that poetry isn’t something that becomes popular however, a lot of people can agree that if the book gets more awareness it can be, similar to how Rupi Kaur became popular amongst the younger generation and still is well-known today. The last book that I think people would read is Fairview, it lacks the standard format that we’re used to and a lot of people nowadays probably would be confused by it.