Blog Post 2

Since the last post, In class we have spent time learning about and discussing romantic relationships, more personality traits and substances that certain people could be prone  to and Social and Emotional learning programs and how they work, as well as going deeper into the concept of positive psychology.

The romantic relationships unit did not exactly click with me because at the time I was going through some personal issues at home and it was impacting my ability to listen and be in the present situation at the time. Learning about the different personality traits and how certain types of people can be linked with certain substances was interesting to me and made a lot of sense to me once it was explained and everything.

The unit that I was easily most interested in was the Social and Emotional learning programs unit. This unit talked about these different programs that have been created and tested out in struggling school systems and we were able to see the results and the impact that they have had on the systems as well. The reason why this was so important to me is because I am a product of Richmond Public Schools which is a struggling school system that stems from a whole variety of problems. In high school I actually was part of a movement to raise awareness about our system and to help bring positive change to it. I believe that if more Social and Emotional learning programs were created and set up in the city, I believe that it may not have a great short term result all across the system due to middle and high school students being more unlikely to participate in them, but I believe that they could have a great long term impact if they are started early on and built from the elementary school kids. So I’ve actually reached out to some of my high school teachers and other members of this movement and have stated this idea and I plan on educating these people about these programs to hopefully create some in the city.

Since the last blog post, I have actually started to practice mindfulness exercises outside of the classroom in times of stress and as a way to help me get through certain classes. So far it has had a positive impact on me and it is something that is making me start to want to do it more often now.

Also, the featured image that I have is definitely odd, as it is a smiling pig. But the reason as to why I chose this is because I view it as something or someone thriving in multiple ways which I believe ties into my own positive Psychology.

5 Replies to “Blog Post 2”

1. I have gone through some rough things for the best three weeks with my family , and with me practicing mindfulness and positive thinking way more than I thought. I hope it’s doing the same for you.

2. Wow! I’m glad to hear about the program for Richmond Public Schools. I come from a similar school district in Maryland and really benefited from social and emotional learning.