Morgan's Rampage

Reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences

Corporate Takeover

The Fall of 2016 is when I left my hometown. I was headed to college like most new high school graduates. Eager to leave this stupid little town in which I had been stuck in for the last 18 years, I was ready to experience a bigger and better city. I had always dreamed of living in a city. Never having to drive 30 minutes to get to a Wal-mart or Target seemed to be more ideal. As I carried my way through college life the place I called “home” was always in the back of my mind. I made my way back after my first semester had come to an end. This was my first time being home since August. I never thought I would actually miss this small town, but I did. 

One thing I missed in particular was the small family owned grocery store on Main Street. This place had been up and running

The recently closed Candor Market.

for decades. I grew up knowing it as the Candor Market. As I had previously stated, the nearest place to get groceries other than the Candor Market was 30 minutes away. Since I was young, we would go uptown to get quick groceries, fresh meat from the deli and also fresh fruits. This was really the one-stop-shop for all.

In 2016, the residents and store owners where shocked at the news of a Dollar General being built about 10 minutes from Candors

Dollar General thats located 10 minutes away from the Candor Market

center. Some saw this as a great opportunity but others, including myself, hated the idea. The Candor Market had so much more to offer to the residents rather than a big branded company. As soon as the Dollar General opened it was taking business away from a store that had been around for years and years.

The Candor Market was still thriving until the announcement of plans to build another Dollar General in the village of Candor was announced in 2018.

The newest Dollar General that took out the Candor Market

This was the ultimate blow that ended up taking out a family owned business that had been prosperous for so many years. A change so big to such a small town has not benefitted anyone except for these corporations. Many families relied on the fresh meat and fresh fruits to serve their family a balanced diet. Our new “grocery stores” don’t have either of these options. It is sad that small towns, such as my own, are the biggest targets for larger corporations.

I loved the simplicity of my small town. Now, larger brand names are industrializing them and are taking over. Bigger brand companies have been extremely detrimental to family owned businesses. As these companies take over, the local population begins to unsee the benefit of family owned businesses.

Credits:

Photos taken by my Mom 2/13/18

Previous

Are you turning?

Next

25 Years to Life for Being You

1. I love how you explain that you wanted to get out but wanted it to stay the same. I’m from Williamsburg where its becoming more and more city like due to it being a tourist town so many small businesses are being taken over by big business and it’s quite upsetting so i see your pain and i hope your little shop doesn’t shut down and continues to be your one stop shop place to go.

2. I really enjoyed reading your story because it is something that I can relate to. I used to live in the town of Enterprise, Alabama. Pretty much the middle of nowhere. We also had to drive a good distance to get to a Walmart or Target, and a mall. The way you explained your town reminded me a whole lot of where I used to live.