Covering The Coverage!

End of the Worlds in RVA

The UCI Road World Championships didn’t exactly turn Richmond upside down, but it flipped us on our side for a good 10+ days, which was an interesting, odd, and sometimes exciting experience. Streets were closed for the cycling action, disrupting the city’s rhythm, but creating a new one for a few moments. Organizers and officials

Originally published by Brian Palmer at A Learner in Residence (link)

To know the true person

To truly say you know someone is to say you’ve spent minutes,hours, days, weeks, and even years with someone.  Given the time we had to interview people was only minutes, but you can learn a lot from these few moments. You get a sense of their true home. You get a sense of what they

Originally published by Aunna Steward at Anthropology of the Crowd (link)

Day 10

My name is Madison Bratton, and the two goals I focused on throughout this course were sticking with a strict workout program, and eating healthy. As I have mentioned before, these have been goals that I have tried before but never together. After reading Willpower, I can honestly say that I feel like I understand […]

Originally published by mlb7 at Jeffrey Green's Great Bike Race Page (link)

Bike Ethnography

I was not present for the race itself, but I followed it in media while studying bike culture in my home town. I wanted to do a comparison of a few different view points of cycling, the UCI Road World Championships, and bike culture. I decided to attempt this in a few parts: I studied a few […]

Originally published by hchamet at ENDO: transforming cycle culture (link)

A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity – James Hyman

Main and 5th. Pace car following the racer going down the hill. Shimano was a big sponsor of the entire event. In the front, you can also see the lead motorcycle. Biker representing Mexico during the men’s individual time trials. Located at Main and 5th. Some spectators and a volunteer watching the races. The volunteers

Originally published by hymanje at Crowdsourcing Journalism for the UCI Worlds (link)

Crowd Favorites

I loved seeing how people from different countries dressed up to support their racers! Two of my favorites were the Norwegians who set up their “Norwegian Corner” on Broad and Belvidere and the Dutch couple who walked around sporting all orange! It was really fascinating to see how each country came to support. There were […]

Originally published by veramd at Anthropology of the Crowd (link)

Capturing the World in Richmond

Kristin Armstrong at the start of the Women’s Elite Time Trial, with a time that held first place through 38 riders– ended up 5th overall. Men competing in the Elite Men’s Road Race, round the corner onto Main st. after the climb up Libby Hill park.             Hermann Pruisken and […]

Originally published by Peyton Hannon at Crowdsourcing Journalism for the UCI Worlds (link)

From Cyclists to Spectators: My Observations

I’m actually super glad I stayed in Richmond over bike race week because it was such a cool experience and I had the opportunity to meet a bunch of cool people.  Seriously, I met an Austrian team, who then added me on Facebook! Like, how cool is that?? I ended up meeting several people from […]

Originally published by heartsfielac at ENDO: transforming cycle culture (link)

Pop-Up Shops Along Broad St.

One of the most popular locations for viewing the race was of course the Start and Finish line on Broad. Local businesses took this into their own hands to set up Pop-Up shops all along Broad St near 2nd-5th St. There was plenty of empty space available for vendors to promote and sell to the […]

Originally published by lizacogar at New Media Photojournalism (link)

City vs. Country: Ethnography

Since I commute to school, I was able to see the race from both inside and outside of the city. Surprisingly, there was a pretty big difference between the two. While a lot of people that call the city home seemed to be agitated by it, the people farther away seemed to be more excited. […]

Originally published by ashleyketchum at ENDO: transforming cycle culture (link)

Libby Hill Turn

I filmed the Women’s Elite Race as they rounded a corner on the cobbles at Libby Hill. I noticed how the riders gravitated towards the same point at the end of the curve, though they found different routes to get there. The tendency is to attack the hill sharply, so that in this case […]

Originally published by hoffmanmc at 33497 UNIV 291 Sec 045 (link)

Photo Opp

The passenger crossing at Franklin and 23rd St, about 10 feet away from the start of the cobblestones of Libby Hill, quickly flooded the moment the last following car turned the top corner. The first surge of pedestrian energy was powerful – about 2/3 of the crowd was merely trying to get to the other […]

Originally published by jandrews42 at 33497 UNIV 291 Sec 045 (link)