Covering The Coverage!

Jeffrey Green’s Great Bike Race Page

Day 10

My name is Madison Bratton, and the two goals I focused on throughout this course were sticking with a strict workout program, and eating healthy. As I have mentioned before, these have been goals that I have tried before but never together. After reading Willpower, I can honestly say that I feel like I understand […]

Originally published by mlb7 at Jeffrey Green's Great Bike Race Page (link)

Setbacks

It is quite amazing how accomplishing one thing can lead to a cascade of accomplishments that follow.  The same can be said for procrastination, it is so easy to let go and have prior responsibilities pile up.  Setbacks are a part of life, and even the most diligent and respected men and women have setbacks. 

Originally published by graysonburch at Jeffrey Green's Great Bike Race Page (link)

Cooperation in Competition

Hello, my name is Morgan Senter and my two goals are qualifying for the World Irish Dance Championships and publishing my dance research. It comes as no surprise that competition motivates us all to challenge ourselves. I need to compete to get into physical therapy school, so I study to keep my grades up […]

Originally published by sentermb at Jeffrey Green's Great Bike Race Page (link)

Social Loafing

Have you ever heard of the bystander effect?  It’s the tendency where a person will be less likely to help another person in trouble when other people are present.  This is very similar to social loafing, where individuals put forth less effort when they are part of a group.  This diffusion of responsibility can be

The Center Stage

As with any team sport, or group activity for that matter, the mere presence of others dramatically changes the nature of certain psychological phenomenon. Social facilitation, which can be broken down into co-action effects and audience effects, enhances personal performance in a group context. Early social psychology work heavily emphasized the intricacies of group dynamics […]

Originally published by ianferguson at Jeffrey Green's Great Bike Race Page (link)

Moving Squares

My goals – squatting 315 pounds and writing a record with my band – would certainly benefit from an increased capacity for self-control. Baumeister discussed how setting small, easily achievable challenges throughout the day could strengthen the brain’s capacity for self-control in the long run; for example, challenging yourself to switch from right- to left-hand […]

Sweatpants and Self-Control

Hi! My name is Morgan Senter and my two goals are qualifying for the World Irish Dance Championships and publishing my dance research. After reading Willpower, I have come to realize that self-control and willpower have their limitations. We start our day with a supply of willpower that is depleted as the day progresses. In […]

Smile and Wave: Glucose + Self-Regulation

Ego depletion, characterized by a period of diminished self-control following an extended exertion of will, surely plays a role in al of our lives at one time or another. In my own experience, I find that my ego is most depleted after a long shift at work. I am employed as a cashier at a […]

Why Not to Skip Snack Time

Back in high school, my Latin finals had 300 questions each. I knew the material well and enjoyed the topic, but by the end of the massive exams, I felt like I was playing a careless guessing game. I am usually thorough when I take a test, double-checking each of my answers before I turn […]

Regaining Control of the To-Do List

Hi! My name is Morgan Senter, and my two goals are qualifying for the World Irish Dance Championships and publishing my dance research in an academic journal. A dance teacher once told my class that when we walk into the studio, we should “leave all unnecessary thoughts and distractions at the door.” It is an […]