Covering The Coverage!

Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance

For the Passion of the Sport

My interviewee is a good friend, who played soccer in high school. He’s interested in watching soccer and baseball now. Some of his hobbies include racing cars, buying boats, and traveling. He knows “a little” about the bike race (not more than the fact that the roads are closed) and rates his interest at a solid 3 […]

Originally published by sarfrazz at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Hard Work or Genes?

I began the 2nd interview with the same question as before, “do you think that some people are born to be great athletes or that with hard work any of us could be competing in this race? He quickly said “hard work.” I interviewed someone very close to me. I interviewed him because he used […]

Originally published by barillassd at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) 2015-09-22 14:40:24

I interviewed my grandmas neighbor which has been her neighbors for 24 years she has also become a family friend. Alittle bit of her background story, she started playing soccer since she was a little girl around  five years old and she picked up the sport because her three older brothers would always play soccer […]

Originally published by duronmi22 at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Interview time – “Find a way”

I interviewed a relative after a series of questions, and found that they leaned more toward the environmental side rather than the genetic side. Also, more nurture than nature. They are from Deltaville, Virginia but come to the Richmond area often to visit family and friends. This interview went well and I took some things […]

Originally published by stewartat at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Interview One

I interviewed a very near and dear person in my life. I started off with the question,”Do you think people whom excel in sports are physically gifted from birth or do they get to where they are through rigorous training that a normal person would never do?” She responded, “I think it’s people genes and […]

Originally published by natsack at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Another Look

An “unforgettable life experience”, says Diana Nyad in her TedTalk to “Never, ever give up”. I’m instantly reminded of Zoe Goes Running, where I’m sure she would’ve said the same. Around August 2013, Zoe Romano, from our very own Richmond, VA, ran the entire route of the Tour de France. She became the first person in the […]

Originally published by rahmanf2 at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

How are athletes truly made?

It seems like everywhere we look these days there are parents who are trying to get their children  to be ‘overachievers’. You know the kind, the perfect student that sat next to you in every single one of your AP classes in high school who not only got straight A’s in those but also got […]

Originally published by aroraim at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Nature vs Nurture Activity Set 1: Initial Impressions

While watching a news broadcast that aired after the last London Olympics, the broadcaster discussed concerns over Michael Phelps performance and how his physiology arguably played a larger part in his Olympic wins rather than his own training. The answer to this question really lies within his genetics. Prior to this decade, researchers launched in […]

Originally published by hairstonma2 at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)

Memoirs of a Gymnast: “Nature vs. Nurture”

Coming into this course, I was very skeptical about the “nature versus nurture” concept. As I mentioned in my introduction, I’ve been a competitive gymnast for 14 years, starting at the young age of 6. My entire life has revolved around gymnastics and I  have actually trained over 10,000 hours. I have won numerous state and […]

Originally published by taylorbwray at The Nature and Nurture of Sports Performance (UNIV 291) (link)