Covering The Coverage!

Beyond the Bike: Let’s Boost our Performance

My Marathon Nutrition

Over the past few years I have run 3 different marathons ,half a dozen half marathons and relays ( usually 200 miles spread among 10 people).  My nutrition  strategies have stayed pretty consistent throughout all of these activities with a little tweaking here and there to cover holes found in previous endeavors.  Focusing on the marathon, I

Originally published by ChloeM at Beyond the Bike: Let's Boost our Performance (link)

Triathlon Nutrition

I have been a member of VCU’s Triathlon Club for about two years. The quality and quantity of my diet has changed quite a bit those past two years. For most of my life, I have considered myself a healthy eater. It wasn’t until this summer, however, that I really examined my diet. I train

Originally published by greenwoodes at Beyond the Bike: Let's Boost our Performance (link)

Soccer/Gym Nutrition

When i came to VCU i wanted to try something new. I wanted to perform better and feel better in what i already love to do. In the upcoming days before I exercise or play soccer I typically plan my meals. Depending on what day it is I consume between 1800- 2500 calories that day. … Continue reading Soccer/Gym Nutrition

Originally published by ericg09 at Beyond the Bike: Let's Boost our Performance (link)

Lecture 2: Macronutrient Carbohydrates Before an Exercise Bout (Assignment at the END!!)

Now that we’ve covered thermoregulation, it’s important to remember that most cyclists need additional fuel when exercising for more than 1 hour. The UCI Road Elite course is 161 miles with over 1 mile of climbing. The relatively flat course will most likely result in a bunch kick at the end from 3-5 classic cyclists. This means those cyclists who headline as overall contenders at …

Originally published by boostperformance at Beyond the Bike: Let's Boost our Performance (link)

Lecture 1. Thermoregulation (assignment at the end)

We’ve all been there before. Our eyes are open. We’re going through automatic motions. Trained actions. But our thoughts are elsewhere. We’re daydreaming. Often times role playing…….. I’m a 25 year old cyclist who is finally getting a shot on the World Stage. The UCI World Road Cycling Championships are coming to Richmond, VA and my family and friends will be there to cheer me …

VCU Exercise Science Videos

The video above is an interview with former professional cyclist, Christian Vande Velde who spoke with us in regards to preparation for Richmond, VA hosting the UCI World Road Cycling Championships for 2015.  Please enjoy the short video and anticipate more to come as you all will be the first to view all new content.