Starring in the face of the norm.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Starring in the face of the norm.

In this photo you will find Lupita Nyong’o, an African woman who has taken the acting and fashion world by storm. Earlier this year she was named one of the most beautiful woman alive and won an oscar for her role in 12 years a slave. In the photo you see her starring down a king cobra, a deadly and viscous snake. I choose this image because it stood out to me. I immediately thought about all the back lash she got for nagging a much coveted spot on the vogue cover and for her oscar win. Lupita’s looks aren’t typical of what our society would say is the standard of beauty. The dominant culture would go for ivory skin, and straight hair. She is none of those things, she is dark skinned her hair is cut close and she is still gorgeous. This image made me think of subcultures and how there are groups in our society who are tired of the dominant culture’s view of what is beauty. Her acceptance and winning of an oscar and being on the cover of vogue seemed to mark a change in my eyes. Her looking into the cobras eyes coming to its level shows a power shift, a rising up of a smaller culture to face the ideas of a bigger and older culture.

Submitted by Sherrie Timberlake

1 thought on “Starring in the face of the norm.

1. David Croteau

“back lash she got for nagging a much coveted spot on the vogue cover “–What was this about?

I don’t follow fashion or the modelling world but she strikes me as exactly the type of woman who might well receive all this attention. Was she really that different? So I looked up the “highest paid models” and turned up the Forbes list with photos. Interesting contrast:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/vannale/2013/08/19/the-worlds-highest-paid-models-of-2013/

Still, couldn’t this be seen as typical African “exotic” imagery…complete with snake?