Against The Grain

underrated

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Against The Grain

I chose this picture, which is a map of different colleges throughout the country because of the norm that society pushes on all children graduating from high school. From the beginning of school it seems that all these teachers are doing is preparing you for the next level. Throughout high school I could not even tell you how many times the teachers brought up the fact that this exercise or that picture is getting me ready for the ‘next level’ (college). I find the article attached interesting because it gives the opinion of plenty of successful Authors, Vice-President’s, etc. who say that it is not worth getting into the amount of debt that you would only for a degree. Recent graduates are leaving college with the average of $25,250, which is three to four times as much as it was 20 years ago. The link also mentions the success of college-dropouts like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates, who are obviously one in a million type deals, however it leaves you thinking, is the degree, and following the social norm of attending college and getting yourself into the type of debt you leave with is actually worth it.

Submitted by Vinnie Sabba

2 thoughts on “Against The Grain

1. David Croteau

Yeah, this opens a whole can of worms, some of which were discussed in the education readings. Students need to be better informed about why they might want to (or not want to) go to college and how to get the most out of it. It’s certainly not a guarantee of anything but, if done well, it can be a huge advantage. But, sadly, for students sleepwalking through school not knowing what they want or why they’re there, it probably is a bad idea. A few years working in the “real” world first might help focus their attention and help clarify what they want to do.

2. David Croteau

I like the debate format of this site and I started poking around. The #1 response has this:

” the majority of college students are lazy, narcissistic, anti-intellectual party animals who refuse to read anything, disrupt classrooms, and spend more time drinking than studying.” Ouch.