Changing Perception of Sexuality

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Changing Perception of Sexuality

I found the “Same Love” song by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis interesting because I never really heard anything like it on the radio. It has become very popular and controversial because it touches upon a sensitive topic to many conservative Americans. Gays and lesbians have been discriminated against due to their sexual preferences ever since the beginning of time. Lately, more television shows include gay couples, such as Modern Family and the Fosters which plays on ABC Family reaching out to a diverse audience. This social movement brought about by the meda towards acceptance didn’t happen overnight and not everyone is still open or accepting of it either. In order for policies to be implemented for equality of all, the culture and social structure of the American society has to gradually change. This of course takes time and lots of enforcement from people in power and through socialization new generations will become more open minded.

Submitted by Diana Marzouk

1 thought on “Changing Perception of Sexuality

1. David Croteau

Nice example. I remember liking this when I first heard it. A couple of points:
    —“Gays and lesbians have been discriminated against due to their sexual preferences ever since the beginning of time. ” But see the discussion in the readings that this has actually varied greatly and the very notion of “homosexual” is a relatively recent cultural creation.
    –“This social movement brought about by the media towards acceptance didn’t happen overnight…” I’m not sure if you meant this, but the media certainly didn’t bring about this movement. Just the opposite; LGBT efforts have long been trying to get the media to change to reflect more diversity. See GLAAD’s work, for example.
    This is certainly a movement that has passed the “tipping point”–at least in the US and a number of other countries. I suspect change will happen with increasing speed as we continue to move forward.