About Sir Gawain

This week we read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and lemme tell you, t’was interesting. I did not expect a love story with sorceresses this early on but here we are, hags with handsome green knights and all.

Can we talk about the green knight himself? His presence was really shocking to read. In this room where people are laughing and having fun suddenly here’s a handsome man riding in also he’s green. It felt so random and even reading it, the air stood still when he was around. Green was so unnatural but I knew it meant something and after reading to the end I figured out what it symbolized: Morality and honesty. The knights start wearing a green sash to remind themself of Gawain’s adventure and to remind themselves to keep their morals. It was really cool figuring this out but also I feel bad for Gawain in this regard. His biggest failure is worn by his friends as a constant reminder.

On that note, why was Gawain to blame when he accepted a magical sash? He was about to get his head cut off and really didn’t want to die. Yeah he didn’t give it to the king but why would he? He wanted to protect himself and does a fear of dying put you at fault? His head was about to get chopped off!

Anyway, onto a different topic: Courtly love. It’s such a cute concept but I was a bit confused on how Sir Gawain fit into this idea of it. The Lady had no real feelings for Gawain. She was playing into a game with her husband the Lord. She came in with kisses and pestered him but it was a trap that was laid to see if he’d fall into it. Meanwhile, Gawain seems like he’s trying to swerve away from her the whole time to keep his loyalty to the king while not offending the lady. I thought they were both supposed to feel for each other for it to be courtly love, but maybe I’m missing something.

That’s all for now, bye folks!