“mythological”

throughout my years at school, I have often spent time in different classes learning about ancient myths. In my freshman year latin class, I very distinctly remember a whole unit on greek and roman myths. Before the class started learning about them, the teacher gave a full disclaimer about how these were firm beliefs that people had and that while people may believe different things now, these were still the beliefs that people once had. In studying the classics, I think that this is something that is sometimes not remembered. I think that this can even relate into the term “mythological”, giving it a connotation that implies that these beliefs are simply fallacies and no more than just some stories. I think that these ancient societies can become idolized¬† to the point that people forget that these societies were made up of people just like people now. In calling something a “myth”, I think that that implies that the story told is not a valid part of what was once, and technically speaking, still is a legitimate religion, and people should realize this. With this said, I don’t think calling these ancient beliefs “myths” is a bad thing, as long as what is meant is that they are simply the polytheistic beliefs of ancient peoples, but people should remember that these beliefs are no different than the beliefs of a modern day christian, muslim, jew, buddhist, etc.