Why Biden Should Not Be President

Joe Biden has announced his run for president in 2020. This announcement comes after some women came forward about inappropriate interactions they have had with Biden. Some of the incidents seem relatively minor- especially comparing them to Trump’s long list of accusations. After the allegations surfaced, Biden released a video on his twitter, apologizing for his behavior […]

Read more

Can Rape be a Kink?

(content warning: sex, sexual assault/rape)  Preface: in this post, I will be speaking only about heteronormative concepts of porn, though I understand that people of other sexualities are also exposed to sexual assault.  In class today, we read a claim that stated that feminists are waging a war on porn…which, some might be. Here’s the […]

Read more

Don’t Trust 12

Sounds like a joke, right? The police are supposed to be protecting us, the citizens of the United States. But here’s the gag, cops are given too much power and are praised more than they should be. Since the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement, there have been all kinds of “good cop” videos […]

Read more

Nick Caraway is Gay **PROOF**

In the 1920s, being a homosexual was not something celebrated by many people. In most places, it was a criminal offense to be gay. Nick Carraway, the narrator in The Great Gatsby, is gay. His sexual orientation affects his descriptions of people in the novel. First, when Nick is recalling Tom and Myrtle’s party, he […]

Read more

Bring it On

Anyone who’s anyone remembers watching “Bring it On” and “Bring it On Again” and “Bring it On All or Nothing” (the one with Rihanna). Last night I watched the first one, “Bring it On,” for those who don’t know it is a movie about two competing cheer squads. The first one features Kirstin Dunst and Gabrielle […]

Read more

Love in the Time of Cholera. Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Love in the Time of Cholera is not the typical love story. It follows Fermina Daza and her ex-admirer, Florentino Ariza. Even after 50 years, Florentino Ariza is still as in love with Fermina Daza as he was when he was a naive 19-year-old, despite the fact that she broke off their relationship and eventually […]

Read more

“The Metamorphosis” by Franz Kafka

First published in 1915, The Metamorphosis is a short story about a man named Gregor Samsa. One day, Gregor awakens to find that he has turned into a giant beetle. As in, he is a big bug. Kafka makes the transformation into a very casual thing by the way he characterizes Gregor. Instead of being concerned […]

Read more

Being Alive

Through a lot of my life, I’ve been picked on relentlessly. My mom tells me that around age 6, I began to build a wall around myself, so I wouldn’t get hurt. I put on a tough exterior: I don’t have much tolerance for ignorance, men, and lots of other random things. Though I’ve found […]

Read more

Modern Day Excuse for Racism

When you think of a hippie, you may think about the 1970s and leaders of the cultural revolution. A modern-day hippie might be your friend from high school who shops at Free People and smokes weed. A safe bet is that they’re pretty privileged, but they just “wanna feel the vibes.” Though this is the […]

Read more

“Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov

“Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov is the story of Humbert Humbert and his struggle with being a pedophile. He calls girls from about 11 to 13 “nymphets.” Eventually, he meets Lolita, a spunky 12-year-old who lives with her single mother. He instantly falls in love with the 12-year-old, and ends up living with the pair. Soon, […]

Read more