Sounds like a joke, right? The police are supposed to be protecting us, the citizens of the United States. But here’s the gag, cops are given too much power and are praised more than they should be. Since the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement, there have been all kinds of “good cop” videos on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. They show cops doing THEIR JOB, yet we all praise them as if they’re some fallen angel. The thing is, cops terrorize communities of color. If you’re a white person being pulled over, you never have to genuinely worry that the police officer pulling you over might kill you.

The Thirteenth Amendment states: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.” The key here is “except as a punishment for crime.” After slavery was abolished, the number of prisoners gradually began to increase. The police began to enforce crimes such as loitering so that they could enslave/imprison more black people. Currently, the United States leads with the highest incarceration rate. THE UNITED STATES ARRESTS WAY MORE PEOPLE THAN PLACES LIKE RUSSIA, WITH AN OPPRESSIVE GOVERNMENT. Black men are the most targeted group of people by the police. Why? Well, we could start with the movie made by the Ku Klux Klan, The Birth of a Nation. The movie is a collection of white men in blackface  (representing black men in society) who are violent and dangerous. This movie was shown for Woodrow Wilson, the president at the time, at the White House. Wilson loved the movie and commented on how true it was. This movie threw the image of a dangerous black man into the media’s spotlight. From then on, black men were feared by everyone- even communities of color. Unfortunately, the stereotype became the norm and still is.

So why shouldn’t you trust the cops? It’s because they’re snakes. I don’t care how many people know very nice police officers blah blah…them having that job and that title means they’re feeding into the system that kills and oppresses people of color, specifically black men. It’s like how all white people are racist, but they may not be a racist**. But this applies to everyone. Did you know that you literally never have to talk to a police officer without a lawyer present?

If you’re pulled over, here’s the script:

“Hello officer…no I do not want to discuss my day…why was I pulled over…am I being detained or not…”

If you’re given a ticket, okay then you’re given a ticket and you go on with your day. Cops, though, have been so revered as heroes that they probably will not be too happy with this script. Any question the police ask you can be answered with “I invoke the 5th.” The fifth amendment protects you from self-incrimination. For example, if you have an eighth of weed in your car (which to cops, is valued at like 5 mil, but that’s another conversation smh), and if your car smells like weed, the cop can’t just pull you over because your car smells like weed. The police officer would have to pull you over because of a traffic violation, so if you’re driving perfect and your car is up to date, you can carry drugs anywhere. If the cop pulls you over, pull out the script. If the officer asks you about the marijuana smell, whether faint or not, you should shut your mouth until you have a lawyer present.

But, as we’ve all seen, cops don’t like to follow rules- especially when it comes to black men. So, let’s look at some unarmed black men that have been murdered by the police. Tamir Rice is one of the most disgusting examples of police negligence and racism. Rice was a 12-year-old boy, CHILD, who was murdered by Timothy Loehmann, a police officer in Ohio because he was seen as a threat. Timothy Loehmann, the murderer, is a free man. He faced no prison time. Remember Eric Garner? The man who was selling cigarettes outside of a convenience store who was strangled by the police. “I can’t breathe” were his last, powerful words. The officer knew he was killing Garner, yet he faced no jail time.

As I said, it’s not just people of color who should distrust the police, it’s everyone. The Stanford Prison Experiment looked into the relationship between regular people and power. Once the fake cops in the experiment got a taste for their power, they abused it repeatedly. Abuse of power should not come as a surprise…especially in America.

**this comes from a theory that claims all white people are racist because they benefit from a racist system. The difference between being a racist and being racist is the individual’s ideas about race. You’re a racist if you believe that black people are lesser than white people. You’re racist if you’re a white person living and benefiting from white privilege (which we, white people, ALWAYS do)

5 comments

1. baileych March 28, 2019 at 8:52 pm

I really like this post. It is sad how much things have changed and they are definitely gifted with way too much power. This hit home for me because one of my older friends was actually killed last year by a national park police officer. My friend was hit by an Uber driver from behind and didn’t know what to do so he drove off. The cops started chasing him aggressively and he didn’t know why. He pulled over and the cops came towards his car with guns, so he drove off. He stopped again and the cops came towards him with guns and proceeded to shoot him 9 times. It is sad to say, but I believe that if he was not a man of color, then things might have ended differently that night.

2. santorumlja2 March 28, 2019 at 11:17 pm

I really enjoyed reading this blog entry. It’s very sad that it is 2019 and there is still racism today. You see it everyday on social media of these cops doing terrible things specifically to black individuals. There’s stories where young black men are dying because police are assuming things. For example, I remember reading something about a cop that killed a black men because he mistook the mans cellphone for a gun. It is honestly heartbreaking. I think all people should be set at the same standard as everyone else. No one deserves to be treated differently. We are all born equal but not treated equally.

3. neumanna March 29, 2019 at 12:53 pm

This really just opened my mind up to a different form of slavery. I never even thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense. Who knows what the government’s intentions are, but I know that many cops abuse there authority. Why is it that an officer has the right to kill someone, but someone else doesn’t. Just because he went through training doesn’t mean he can be a certified killer. I know that white people such as myself do not get a brunt from cops they are sweet and act as if we are innocent, but we do the same things as an African American. The system is screwed up. My best friends boyfriend is African American and got pulled over last month. My best friend who is white was in the car while her boyfriend was driving they ended up getting pulled over. My best friend said that her boyfriend froze and didn’t move his hands off the steering wheel in fear. He then was given a ticket and pressed against his car roughly with a warning. Is this how we treat our citizens?

4. pillails March 29, 2019 at 3:57 pm

I’m glad I am not the only one who feels the same way. I really enjoyed reading this blog post. Cops are pigs. Majority of police will shoot at people just because of a sudden movement and all they will want to do is be right. I remember being in a ramsafe and once I had entered it smelled like marijuana. The cops searched everyone’s items and as he was doing it he just sounded so petty and trying to be a smart mouth, after everyone said they didn’t have anything on them. After they searched, they let us go because they couldn’t find anything, but to add on to their pettiness, they gave us a “warning” for the smell. Like what? Don’t be extra petty just because you couldn’t take “no” for a whole bunch of VCU students just trying to get home.

5. parkas3 March 30, 2019 at 2:44 am

Your blog really spoke out to me because it is all something I completely agree about. We have come to a time in the world where we see something about race and police brutality everyday on the news. Social media covers more about the things going on in the world, more than the actual news does. The news doesn’t show where an unarmed black man was shot over 10 times from the cop thinking it was a weapon… but instead he was reaching for his wallet. The news doesn’t show a young black teenage boy walking down the street where he was shot over 15 times because he looked “suspicious”. Instead the news shows us the police side, where they defend themselves as if they were in a life threatening situation. This world has become a place where us humans, only look at the side of the “superior”. We have taken the lives of innocent colored people because they were somehow in the wrong. It’s disgusting and disappointing that we live in a world where power and race, comes before innocent young lives. I hope us citizens can work together and put a stop to this disgusting trend of police brutality against people of color.