Music on the Brain

For our upcoming research project I want to do something involved with the effects of music on the brain. Now we all know that different music affect people from all kinds of ages. Adults have music that brings them back to memories of their childhood, Teenagers have music that they listen to when they are going through a breakup, and kids listen to music every time they watch their favorite cartoon’s theme song. Music influences feelings in many aspects of our life and it even affects us before we are born.

When my mom was pregnant with me, she would play all kinds of music. Some of her favorite genres were house music, hip hop, jazz, and classical music. What she noticed was that depending on what music she would play, I would act differently in her stomach. For example, hip hop and house music are more rhythm based songs with up tempo beats. When she would play that, she felt me kicking almost as if I was dancing. On the other hand, when she played classical music and jazz, a more softer tone and slower paced type of music, I would calm down. This shows that even before we have “life” music can change how we act.

Another way music affects us is with learning. Think about if I asked you to tell me the 17th letter of the alphabet. You would probably sing the ABC’s song and count until you got to 17. That song is something that helped you learn the letters of the alphabet, something we all need to make words and sentences for basic language. Right now a really popular song in the kid world is “Baby Shark.” When you play it, you see kids jumping, getting excited, and also it informs them about a new animal, a shark. In school we learn some topics in math or science by remembering a song. On Spotify, there is a genre called studying, which is full of music that has smooth beats that don’t overpower any thoughts you have while somebody does homework.

The most common form of music happens every year when people sing you Happy Birthday. Whether it be at a funeral, wedding, or graduation you will hear music everywhere you go. Next time you go somewhere think about the music being played and how what you feel couldĀ  be changed if it wasn’t there.

3 thoughts on “Music on the Brain

1. I can totally relate and engage myself to your writing. My dad is a music band leader and the keyboard player of that band as well. So my relationship with music is deep and a long one. Besides, It was a delight to read this. wonderfully illustrated

2. I completely relate to this post. I was basically raised on music. My dad played it all the time and we always shared our music with each other. I need it when I’m walking, working, showering, or even sleeping. I believe it probably reduces stress for me and relaxes me when I listen to music. It also deeply connects me with my own emotions. When I need a confidence boost, I listen to happy encouraging music. My relationship with music has grown so strong over the years that I aspire to make music of my own as well.

3. I really enjoyed reading this post, and I can also relate to it too. Whenever the family is going of a family vacation, my dad would buy a few songs, and put them into a CD to create a playlist for us. He knows that the car ride will be long and boring, so he puts music for us to listen so we don’t get bored. He would even put songs that my mom asks for, but she falls asleep when she hears them, or be on her phone. If we are not traveling, my dad would go to the music channel on the TV, and picks the 80s channels, and we listen to 80’s rock songs while playing a board game as a family (except my mom). I enjoy listening to the 80s songs, because my dad is an expert on them, and if a song plays that I like, I would ask him who sang it and what is the name of the song. He would always answers me because he already knows it, or he asks me to look it up.