Final Plan Myers

For my GIMP Tips and Tricks Module I am going to create 5 projects. After working through the introduction activities students will complete each project and post it on a Website that they will create using Google Sites as part of the Module. At the end of the module they will have a nice portfolio of their work. Each project will have a discussion board that students will use to share their thoughts about the project and how they think they may use a similar project in a core class. There will also be a rubric with each project that will outline the skills students will be graded on for each project. The module will take students through how to use the basic tools in Gimp to how to combine text & images, how to combine multiple images, etc. By the end of the module they should have a strong working knowledge of the program. I will use this module as part of a Typography unit for the Desktop Publishing part of my DMWT class for 8th graders. I would like to know if any of my classmates have ideas on different topics for my Discussion boards. Currently I am planning on using the same topic for each project: “Share a few things that you learned in doing this project. Include what you liked and what you think could be better. How do you think you can use the skills in this project to enhance projects…” Do you think that is engaging enough or do you have ideas on how I could change it for each project? Monty, I would like to know if you have any suggestions on creating a Rubric for the Discussion Boards. I have a rubric for each project but should I include one for the Discussion and if so, what would that look like? My TPack lesson is in the Working with Layers folder in my module in Schoology – what I have completed on the other projects are in folders in the order students should complete them. I hope everyone enjoys the break & Happy Thanksgiving!

6 thoughts on “Final Plan Myers

1. one thing, i know we went back and forth on your syllabus, but it maight be confusing for your students the way it is laid out right now. You might want to consider simplifying it a bit and just providing information your students would need

2. Debbie,

Your module is turning out really great. I love having the rubrics right there for students to see how they are being assessed. I also just really like the lessons. To address our question abotu rubrics for discussion boards – I have seen some rubrics online for discussion posts, and sometime i have thought they were cool. There was one that i really wanted to find to share with you but i haven’t been able to locate it. I will keep looking though. But it really micro-managed the posts, but almost in a good way, like it gave specific points to just how you titled your post. And i wonder if that might be useful for 8th graders since they don’t have a lot of experience in this style of writing. You can google around for discussion post rubrics and see what comes up, but my thought is you can either go this route of really explaining exactly what they should do, or not. I don’t ever do this for college students and inservice teachers cause it seems to micro-managy, but again, with 8th graders you may really want to give them firm rules for posting. I will continue to try to look for this one rubric I remember.

In terms of your discussion prompts, I would try to be more specific, especially with 8th graders. Try to get them to bring personal experiences in, this will help prevent group-think answers. So for example, maybe ask how they could use the newly acquired skills in their favorite hobby. Or ask them for a specific example of another classes assignment where they could use these skills. The more specific the better, and this generally goes for everyone, not just 8th graders. Also, try to encourage conversation between them, again with very specific prompts.

Great job so far. I think your module is shaping up really well.

Your module is designed for hybrid, right?

3. Debbie,
    I would really like to be a student in your class. I have walked through your class and I love what the students are doing in there. I believe that the skills you teach would be a huge addition to help me devise interesting online lessons for my students. Building their skills through your online lessons open up a lot of possibilities for what they can do in their future and allows them to give you constructive feedback on their lessons. It would be really cool to do some cross-curricular work. I know you have asked in past years what we were working on to try and collaborate so that the students can get a deeper understanding of the content by using it to create your lessons. It would be kind of cool to do that again.

1. I would love to do a project with you. We could have your 7th graders create a green screen video on what their conclusions were on your railroad lesson and why. My 8th graders could record and show them how to put the video together. What do you think? Let me know……… Thanks for the feedback!