What’s Coming

The Teaching Professor Technology Conference audience loved Alec Couros’ message. I, too, enjoyed his talk and his message about networked, connected learners — what’s possible and what’s coming.

My presentation about the differences in teaching online was also well received, but in the response to both talks, I heard “It will take a decade for the rest of us to catch up to these ideas” about connected learning and networked open courses. Yet the conference program had great ideas, especially about blended learning strategies and blogging, active learning and collaboration. The enthusiasm of the people attending was obvious in their questions and comments. The teachers I’ve met in my several years of attending conferences and working as a faculty consultant have always been interested in doing the best job they could for their students. I hope the concepts of open, connected learning and blending course activities between the classroom [virtual & f2f] and the web will be adopted more quickly than predicted, as the communication tools evolve. The yet unimagined possibilities hold much promise.