About

I believe in the truth of Wienberger’s comment –

“In conversation we think out loud together, trying to understand. … The Web releases thoughts before they’re ready so we can work on them together. And in those conversations we hear multiple understandings of the world, for conversation thrives on difference. (Weinberger, 2007, p. 203)”

Here, together, we dialogue and create meaning that is true for each of us — what we agree to be true, where we differ in our thinking, and how we value the conversation about those differences in perspectives.

I look forward to our conversations about teaching and learning, especially how we can improve opportunity for effective learning for our students.

Contact me anytime by email, jmkincannon@vcu.edu; comment on my blog posts here; and connect through twitter, @JoyceKincannon

GirlTattooA comment about my avatar —

MoMA Collection “The girl looks in the mirror and does not see her likeness. Instead, she comes face to face with a more penetrating image–one that is both revelatory and disturbing. She dos not see the literal portrayal that she expects, the smiling prettiness that she anticipates. Rather she perceives, in the refracted forms and surprising colors, a deeper, and more authentic reflection of who she is.” Girl-Before-A-Mirror-By-Pablo-Picasso A description of Picasso’s painting… A Girl before a Mirror

The Art and Science of Portraiture by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot and Jessica Hoffmann Davis has this image as its cover. This book was given to me by Dr. Marcy Driscoll, Florida State University, to help me establish my qualitative research within a specific research method. It made all the difference to me by making my questions become meaningful and something I could write from “a place of authority.” My habit of sketching portraits rather than taking notes transformed to writing portraits of faculty who were changing their classrooms and practice to virtual ones.

I grew up with my image in mirrors, always comparing mine to the large portraits on the beauty shop walls. Both of my parents, aunt, sister-in-law and sister were hairdressers. Their shop was my hangout, although I had to “behave” when there were customers. We lived above the shop in a very old three story building on Main Street. Few children lived in my “neighborhood” so the shops were my playground and the library was just up the street. Books and window-shopping were my play. Still are!

Consider creating courses as portraits of what you hope to see in your students writing and conversations, a reflection of their inner learning. Your own thinking re-imagined in someone else, changed and made personal for themselves.