Advocacy Speech: Asylum Seeker

Amber DiOrio

UNIV 111

Professor Galligan

October 24, 2018

Writer’s Memo

The evolution of this project was smoother than both my other projects. I spent almost everyday working on this speech whether it is just running over the whole thing and saying it out loud or just fixing wording in the speech itself. Watching my videos over and over again helped me realize that I need to make more eye contact and not sway as much. It will help me prepare for when I have to give my final presentation. I am going to be completely honest I had know idea what an asylum seeker was till I did research. So my audience is kind of similar to me but to the Donald Trump supporters who don’t know the facts and have a negative view on them and immigration.

I made very few revisions. The revisions I did make were just some words because it wasn’t exactly how I talked, so I wanted to make it more normal for me. The feedback that I received from Reyna helped a lot. I need to be confident in order to give a great speech and not be nervous in front of everyone. The main things that I need to focus hard on before I present on Tuesday is to make eye contact and not more as much. I rejected the not making it so facts based, but the facts make my point that the audience don’t know what these individuals have to go through and don’t know all the facts therefore I gave definitions and fact based information to help with my claim.

The “global” aspects that I feel more confident about is the definitions about the certain terms because I did get the definitions from good cites. The “global” aspects that I find a little more concerning would have to be my cartoon embedded within my speech. I chose a good enough cartoon but I feel as if I didn’t give a good explanation  of it. I just hope people understand where I am going with it. My “local” aspects I think really attacks the conservatives that I was living around. Growing up I lived in an area where teenagers thought that they had every knowledge about refugees and immigrants. They also treated them so poorly which is why I thought this speech would be good to write just so I can state some facts especially if there are some in the class.

If I had more time to work on this speech, the one time I would focus on improving is my own opinion in the piece. I feel like I have a lot of other people’s opinions except my own. The time of preparing for my speech was good and just enough what I needed, but many Professor Galligan could of told us a little bit sooner. Writing for the “eyes” is much easier than writing for the “ears” because for the “eyes” you can use big words and make it all pretty, but for the “ears” you have to make it pleasing for everyone to listen to, not make it boring and also you will use smaller less complex words so people can understand.

Asylum Seekers

Why are we so negative about diversity? Why do we neglect those who are leaving their own country due to hate or violence just for them to get even more hate and violence? Throughout my entire young adult life, I have been around many people who are let’s say not very welcoming to those from other countries. How come we have teenagers who don’t know what those people go through, don’t know the facts, wearing “Make America Great Again” hats, shirts, pins, you name it. Most those teenagers can’t tell you the definition of an asylum seeker, but yet they know everything? I am sure they are best friends with Donald Trump as well.

First thing is first with the definition, an asylum seeker is someone who has fled their own home country as a political refugee to find asylum which is the right to international protection. The person fleeing is not necessarily a refugee because they formally applied for an asylum in another country but their application has not been concluded. An asylee is a person who is granted the asylum. According to White House Chief of Staff John Kelly exclaims that many of these families are sending their children over from the US-Mexico border because they are trying to “save” them. With the countries of El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras, they are facing multiple layers of violence which puts them high up the charts of the world’s most violent ares.

So then what is the difference between those who are considered an asylum seeker  and a refugee? Well an asylum seeker is a person who is seeking help internationally for protection, but they have not yet been recognized by the country. As for a refugee, they are people who have fled their own country and are unwilling or unable to return back because of the fear of persecution. Not every asylum seeker is a refugee, but by definition every refugee is an asylum seeker.

There is the US Asylum Law which applies to those who are in the fear of persecution because of their religion, nationality, race or political views. Those judges who are put on granting asylum generally will only tend to grant these migrants the protection they need or want by them showing a well-founded fear and who meet the standards put by the US government.

Not only are the people granting the asylum important, but the migrants who are in need or wanting it are even more crucial. There are two primary ways for a person to be able to seek asylum within the United States: affirmative asylum and defense asylum. Both of these processes require that the asylum seeker to be present in the United States. The affirmative asylum is by a person who is not in the removal proceedings may affirmatively apply for asylum through the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The defensive process  is from a person who is in the removal proceedings that may apply for asylum defensively by completing an application with an immigration judge  for Immigration review. That is to say that this asylum is applied for defense against removal from the United States.

An asylum seeker has the task of proving that they fit the definition of a refugee. By doing so, they must provide examples throughout both processes to make evident that they are in that “well-founded fear” mentioned before. There are ways to not be granted access to the asylum and there is very limited exceptions.

The “well-founded fear” has two types as well: reasonable fear and credible fear. Credible has to deal with a screening by an asylum officer and  that officer coincides that the seeker has a credible fear of persecution or torture, meaning the person shows a significant eligibility for an asylum. As for reasonable fear, the seeker has already been deported and then re-enter unlawfully. So they are subjected to a different kind of removal process where they then have to go have an interview with an asylum officer and prove their fear yet again. If they prove the “fear”, they are then put on what is called a “withholding of removal” which is protection from future persecution.   

This is a cartoon expressing one man “deeply concerned” with the migrants coming across the ocean which is probably a fake concern. The other man represents those who aren’t as welcoming to immigrants and feel as if they need to shoot them if they do not stop approaching the border. Let alone there are children on this boat, families who are living in fear, and women who are brutally abused by people within their home countries.

Day after day, life is moving slower and slower for these families who are spending their time and little money seeking help from people from a place where everything is supposed to be a new start. Being so adverse to diversity and being ignorant about these individuals, won’t make America great again. Being opened to the inclusion to all races and educated about the facts of these human beings, will turn America to a place worth coming to and a place where they don’t feel like a stranger.

Works Cited

“Asylum in the United States.” Asylum in the United States, American Immigration

Council, 20 Oct. 2018,

www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/asylum-united-states.

Meyer, Maureen, and Eylssa Pachico. “Fact Sheet: U.S. Immigration and Central

American Asylum Seekers.” Fact Sheet: U.S. Immigration and Central American

Asylum Seekers, WOLA,

www.wola.org/analysis/fact-sheet-united-states-immigration-central-american-asylum-seekers/.

Moutain, Wes. “Obeid, O’Farrell and the ICAC Corruption Verdict (Cartoon) | Thursday 1   

August 2013.” This Is Australia. Today., 1 Aug. 2013,

thisisaustraliatoday.wordpress.com/2013/08/01/obeid-ofarrell-and-the-icac-corruption-

verdict-cartoon-thursday-1-august-2013/

One Reply to “Advocacy Speech: Asylum Seeker”