Valentines Day

Valentines Day.

The worst holiday of all the holidays. I have had the worst luck with this holiday. Being single on this day is especially BAD. Let me tell you, I hate seeing couples post on instagram and twitter about how happy they are to have this person and all that jazz. Like we get it you’re in a relationship congratulations. Don’t get me wrong my best friends/roommates are in a relationship and I am happy for them, but even they don’t like valentines day. One of them even said they wish their guy would treat them this way more often. I totally agree if you love this person so much on this one day, why can’t you do it more than just on February 14? I have no personal experience with being in a relationship on valentines day and that is probably something that may change my mind if I was, but being single on Valentines day for 19 years makes me buy myself the chocolate and the cute stuff that is on sale the weekend afterwards. One thing that I appreciate the most is when I was younger my dad would buy me and my sister stuff, but he would always comment that we weren’t allowed to date till we were in our 40’s. Since I’m at college now, I wonder if maybe I’ll get something in the mail and if I still have to wait till I’m in my 40’s to date. As the day keeps approaching, I just realize that this day isn’t really all that big of a deal. I remember in elementary school Valentines day was when you get cards from everyone of your classmates and your teacher would make sure, especially on the list of names of the people in your class, that everyone got one just so people didn’t feel left out. Then during middle school we start obsessing with the idea that we want that perfect relationship on Valentines day where they get surprised with a giant teddy bear or some flowers. Then high school comes along and reality hits us because we start to think about how lonely we are. Maybe those elementary school teachers were trying to give us some love and a good valentines day before we get smacked with the realization that we are single and were going to spend this day alone. I also wonder what guys think about this day. Do they get stressed out? Do they find joy in getting their person gifts and spending a large amount of money on someone? I feel like if I was someone buying stuff or planning stuff for my significant other I would be beyond stressed. Maybe Valentines day should be mutual and the girls should be doing the same thing. But hey I really don’t know. This was just a rant about Valentines day and how much I think it’s stupid holiday. Many people have different experiences with February 14, but I have had the same since 1999, alone and almost all the time with my day and my fellow single people.

2 Replies to “Valentines Day”

1. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I completely agree with you. Honestly, I do not even call Valentines Day a holiday. People in relationships are expected to go all out for their significant other on this day, but I think if you truly care about someone you would do that on any other day. Also, I think people can do much better than giant teddy bears and flowers. lol

2. I don’t know why we still celebrate “holidays” like Valentines Day. Personally, I don’t think it’s all that important. It serves little purpose other than to have a “special” day for someone and their partner. I really don’t see the hype. I’ve never been in a relationship before so maybe I’m not one to speak on this, however I feel like if I am in a truly healthy relationship I shouldn’t have to rely on Valentines Day in order to have some sort of romantic connection with a partner. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I also don’t understand why we celebrate Valentines Day with young children. I’m saying this as an Elementary Education major. Call me crazy, but I’m one of those people who doesn’t think kids should be ‘celebrating’ a “holiday” that is meant to celebrate romantic love, when they don’t even truly know what it’s like to be romantic with someone. Sure, parents and teachers often turn it around and make it about chocolate and friendship, but that isn’t what the “holiday” is for. I just don’t understand why its such a big deal.