According to Speranza and Pierce (2019), leadership and philosophy can be defended by the values and principles that influence how we lead and react to others and our surroundings. As a leader, we all have our book of rules that we live by, our moral compass, if you will. Each day our philosophy is put to the test as we address new trials. Since there will be routine battels with yourself, others, and the environment you inhabit, we must take time to codify our philosophy in ways easily articulated for others to understand. Within the article, Speranza and Pierce (2019) offer questions to assist in developing my leadership philosophy.

After reviewing these questions, I have landed on several vital points that embodies my leadership philosophy.

• As a leader, I seek to lead with the assumption that all team members act with the best of intentions.
  • I must realize that all team members are different, and it is my responsibility to understand their wants and needs on an individual basis.
  • All people process information differently; while I am an external processor, some prefer to processes in silence
  • I have a strong commitment to the team’s success; all of my actions should advance this end.
  • In every leadership role, I strive not to harm individuals or the team-based on my actions.
  • Individual Integrity is essential in achieving team success
  • While details are essential, as a leader, I must not lose sight of the bigger picture.
  • I value not asking someone to do a task you have not done before or would be willing to do.
  • As a manager, I believe in sharing my thought process for my team to learn and grow.
  • I am happy to answer questions as a team member; however, my response will also include how and/or where I found the information.
  • It is my responsibility to empower and encourage my team members to help them achieve work or personal goals.

Reference

Speranza, C. & Pierce, A. (2019, July). Development of a personal leadership philosophy: An experiential and reflective opportunity in the graduate classroom. Journal of Leadership Education. p 167-174. DOI: 10.12806/V18/I3/A2