Research Nugget

MLA –

Danaylov, Nikola. Singularity Symposium. Nikola Danaylov, 2012. Web. 28 Jul. 2014.

I’m not quite sure if the Singularity Symposium meets all of the requirements to be considered a scholarly source, but it should! It is a personal page created by Nikola Danaylov, although it is open to user-input and content and involves dozens upon dozens of links to outside sources. As implied by the name, this website contains everything Singularity. From profiles of those most influential on the topic of the Singularity, including the author of a book I will be using for my project, Ray Kurzweil, among others. It involves important vocabulary, important ideas, etc. It really immerses you in the open discussion of the Technological Singularity and equips you with the basic understanding you need to participate. Anyone with the slightest interest in knowing what the technological singularity is should check it out! As a not-so-scholarly article, it is very light-hearted and appealing to all. I intend on linking to different pages of this websites throughout my final, because as I said it acts as a sort of Singularity Encylopedia, even including recent films about the subject, of course including the classic, The Matrix.

The website’s most fundamental page is its definition page for the word ‘Singularity.’ It contains a great deal, you can follow the link to find out more, but the most useful definition I found was this quote by John Von Neumann, who of course has a profile on the website.

” John von Neumann was quoted as saying that “the ever accelerating progress of technology … gives the appearance of approaching some essential singularity in the history of the race beyond which human affairs, as we know them, could not continue.” His definition of the Singularity was that the Singularity is the moment beyond which “technological progress will become incomprehensively rapid and complicated.”