This week, we read chapter 11, I learned about how there are many roles and responses to the new and growing threats because of computer crimes and terrorism. Federal agencies have responded to these threats by adding secret service, department of justice, federal bureau of investigation, the national security agency, the federal trade commission, the postal service, immigration and customs enforcement, department of energy, and the department of homeland security. All of these agencies have worked individually to get everyone use to  to their doings of law enforcement to these problems. The federal government is trying their best they can to fight against computer crime and terror. There have been local and state-level law enforcements in computer crimes.

The parts that stuck out to me the most was about the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and The department of Homeland Security. The U.S. Immigration and customs Enforcement (ICE) identifies and investigates nation’s borders, putting together intelligence involving threats, getting rid of foreign nationals, and enforcing the laws. This was made in 2003 and is involved with the Homeland security act and is a major merger. From personal experience, Back in August, I remember when I was traveling back to the United States and the U.S. Immigration and customs enforcement (ICE) did their investigations/background checks sitting in Abu Dabi. I thought to myself, “Why were they doing checks and all the american customs here? why aren’t they doing them at Dulles airport when we get off there?” While thinking about this I came to the conclusion that instead of going through all that craziness at Dulles, it would be easier to do it in Abu Dabi and to just get off the plane at Dulles and go home. So, ICE is a major roll played in enforcing internet-related crimes because it has to protect the U.S. borders and the international nature of cyberspace crimes.

Another thing that stuck out to me was The department of Homeland security. Homeland security was created and made after 9/11 happened to protect the U.S. from any terrorists attacks. There are many organizations that are under the DHS that help with DHS. The most important is The National Cyber Security Division (NCDS). This was also opened in 2003 with the act of protecting cyber infrastructure. The NCSD has two tasks and those tasks are to as stated in the textbook, (1) to build and maintain an effective national cyberspace response system and (2) to implement a cyber risk management program to protect critical infrastructure. For these two tasks the National Cyber Alert System and the Cyber Cop Portal program are put into place. These organizations are used to detect and catch cyber criminals and to detect terrorist attacks before they happen. The NCSD manages many organizations to help protect the US. internet so then no one hacks into it, attacks or puts viruses in it or messes with it.

Going back to the US board of protection, I was amazed at how they could determine if we were lying or not. They do their job very very well and are highly trained!