Two days to change the landscape with a pedestrian bridge over West Main St, etc.

Traffic flows on West Main St. at Linden St. near the Student Commons.
Pedestrian traffic flows on Linden St. near the Student Commons.
West Main Street is closed to traffic for two days so a pedestrian bridge can be assembled.
Workers assemble the framework for the pedestrian bridge over West Main Street.
Day two of pedestrian bridge construction shows is underway.
Great for those ambulating on two feet. Wheelchair crossings are designated elsewhere on the course.
The VCU logo on the bridge is something the city hopes all visitors notice.
Other things Richmond hopes all visitors enjoy include the city's noted restaurants,
Other things Richmond hopes all visitors enjoy include the city’s noted restaurants,
the city's street art, and
the city’s street art, and
the James River. Richmond carries the nickname "the River City".
the James River. Richmond carries the nickname “the River City”.

Bike Race Course – wouldn’t miss it!

Thrilled that the 25 Bike Race courses are open to VCU staff the same way they are open to students.  On first perusal of the varied offerings I knew which one I wanted.  Crowdsourcing the Worlds promises to help us improve at framing stories for impact and meaning – a worthwhile skill to carry away from this once-in-a-generation event.

In my 11th year of working for VCU in facilities management this is the 16th course I am taking for credit. The first 12 resulted in an MPA degree.  Then there was 1 credit Personal Finance and 1 credit Conversational Spanish, followed by Fall 2014  MASC 101 (Mass Communications) with Fulbright-award winning teacher-of-note Jeff South who is co-teaching this course.

Taking this course is a way to be a part of something that is unique, local, and big-time.  Attractive for someone like me who is a nerd for ideas, current events, pop culture, RVA, and indie bands including local ones like Avers and Manatree.

Bicycle riding, forget about racing, is something I have not done this century.  But I am registered to be a Course Marshall on the Monday and the Wednesday of Bike Week,  and  I expect that material for course assignments will appear before my eyes throughout those days.  (I have been a course marshall many times this century for Richmond Sportsbackers running events.)

This post concludes with 1) mention that my social media include facebook, twitter, LinkedIn, with plans to add Instagram later this very week 2) a photo of the pedestrian bridge installation at Main St. and Linden St. that started this morning.

Ciao for now.photo