NEW! Environmental Studies Override Policy

Students: Please read the information below before proceeding!

All Environmental Studies (ENVS) overrides are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and should be submitted through the override form (linked below) as of November 8th, 2019. If you have a registration hold on your account, a potential override will not be granted until the hold is removed. Size overrides (if available) will generally not be granted until your assigned registration date. Students can check their assigned registration date for spring 2020 here: https://rar.vcu.edu/registration/dates/.

Filling out the override request form does not guarantee your override. If/ when you are granted an override, you will receive an email from envsadvising@vcu.edu with further instructions. Please use the override to register for the course in question within 48 hours of receiving the email. If the override is not used promptly, it may be revoked.

Regarding ENVS 102 Introduction to Environmental Studies II overrides: Students taking ENVS 101 during fall 2019 should be able to register for ENVS 102 without an override. If you are a new transfer student for fall 2019 or spring 2020 OR if you recently changed your major to ENVS and were advised by Lindsay Freeman to take this course, please complete the ENVS Override Request Form in order to request an override into ENVS 102 (this will allow you to take the course without the ENVS 101 prerequisite). If you don’t fall into any of the above categories of students, you most likely should not be taking ENVS 102. Please feel free to email envsadvising@vcu.edu with questions about this.

Regarding ENVS 301 Intro to Meteorology & ENVS 310 Intro to Oceanography: These courses have no prerequisites and are primarily geared towards teaching/ education and interdisciplinary science majors. ENVS majors and minors may take either of these courses towards your ENVS elective requirement, but most ENVS majors do not take either of these courses. Enrollment for ENVS 301 and 310 is done by override only in the spring and fall. If you would like an override into either of these courses, please complete the ENVS Override Request Form.

If you need an override into a non-ENVS course that is required for the Environmental Studies minor or major (for example, STAT 210, BIOL 317, or ECON 325), please do NOT complete the ENVS Override Request form. You will need to request an override through the department who teaches the course.


Override request form for ENVS and ENVZ courses