Student Experiences- Internships

Fire Monitoring Intern with the United States Forest Service

Name: Autym Shafer

Where and when did you complete your internship?
I completed my internship in Jackson Hole, Wyoming during the summer of 2017.

How did you find your internship?
I found this internship through the Student Conservation Association.

As an intern, what responsibilities did you have?  What skills did you learn?
My internship with the United States Forest Service was very versatile in the work that I completed. I was responsible for collecting and analyzing data related to defensible space in neighborhoods bordering Forest Service property, I organized a group of volunteers to maintain trails, I fought fire for two weeks in southern Idaho, I patrolled campsites and naturalized fire rings, and I got field experience by working with the Teton National Park Fire Effects Crew.

Because I had the opportunity to work on several projects, I learned a variety of useful skills. I furthered my skills in GIS and field data collection. I also learned about fire ecology, law enforcement within the forest service, and community education.

To read more about Autym’s internship experience, click here.

Internship with Sea Quest Kayak Expeditions

Name: Maggie Moomaw

Type of Experience: Internship: assistant kayak guide, providing logistics support and/or administrative support for kayak tours.

I completed my internship in Summer 2017, and I was working and living in Friday Harbor, WA on San Juan Island.

How did you find your internship?
I found out about the company through a previous organization I had participated in as an undergraduate student called NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School). They send out monthly letters to alumni and it usually contains job postings related to the field of outdoor education.

To read more about Maggie’s internship experience, click here.