hospital visits

I’ve been to the hospital, not for reasons that have to do with me, at least 7 times this year. One of my roommates has these really weird episodes where it seems like she is having an allergic reaction. Although, she did not even have anything new to eat, use any new product, etc. It is really scary and, for the most part, I have been the only one home when she has these episodes. So, I had to take her to the hospital because she could barely function. She can barely walk, breathe and is profusely sweating and is shaking and itching. We have been to the hospital so many times because of these reoccurring problems but the doctors literally have no idea what it is.  Not trying to speak badly about doctors but they honestly seemed not to care about her problems. Although I am sure they were really busy or something…..all 7 times. But yeah, it has been really stressful for her and all of my roommates because we have all had our turns taking her to the hospital and waiting with her. It is also really expensive, and the doctors usually do not give her medicine, or medicine that will even help. But she has a lot of appointments now because she has begun to loose feeling in one of her legs. So now hopefully the doctors can take it a little bit more seriously and try to figure out what is actually going on with her. The last time we went was last week today and she has been doing a lot better and I hope that it stays that way. I am really concerned because I live with her and I see how much she struggles with it and how it can affect her in school and her personal life. She is an art major, and the art buildings are really far away and she has to carry her big art portfolio with her, and it is hard enough to do with 2 functioning legs, i cannot even imagine how it is with just 1.

the act of forgiving

In my psych class we had to read a passage about forgiveness. And it was really interesting to have someone write about this. The definition of forgiveness is to give up resentment of or claim to requital. The author in the passage spoke in depth about how we see people who forgive others as weak and a push over. When in reality they are not. They also explained how  emotions block the mind and how the act of refusing to forgive can, in fact, lead to several different forms of darkness. It is interesting because instead of forgiving others we react in violent and angry ways. And the is what leads us to darkness. So we are pretty much teaching the new generations that violence is the way you should react when someone does you dirty.

Usually, when you are angry with someone your reaction is to want to get back at them or hurt them in some way.  And most of the time, to get revenge, you want to do what they did to you, right back to them. But then this situation just leaves you as a hypocrite because you are doing the same thing you were angry about with them in the first place. It is a really interesting concept that I never really thought about but now I see how that is what people do as their first reaction.

So now when I am angry with someone I think I just need to practice forgiving people. I do not have to agree with what they did or anything but I can just not let the anger take over my body. I think that it will help a lot people who tried this as well. And I think it would be beneficial to the future generations to come.

social media

It is really obvious of the enormous effects that social media has on us, as a society. Especially in our generation. It is actually insane how much social media can consume us. Their is some positives that come out of social media because people are able to get careers on social media. This can be good and bad because kids could make a lot of money when they really should not be responsible for all that money. However, it is a good way for people to be successful if they do not have enough money to go to college. Or if their talent has something to do with social media. But social media is also really dangerous because it can cause us to be obsessed with other people’s lives. And basically trying to pretend like you are someone you are not. Obviously most people don’t post their mental breakdowns on social media. People typically only post the positive things in their lives and want to seem as if they are the best and happiest person in the world.

As a result of this, many people begin to compare themselves to other people that they see on social media. They compare their bodies, their followers, likes, etc. This is something extremely toxic and dangerous to young people and their self esteems.

At this point, their is not much that can be done to fix this issue that we, as a society, has created. We just have to be aware of the fact that what people post on social media is not as real as we think it is. It is only a small portion of somebody’s life. Even then, the photos are edited and the posts are tweaked with. It is just not authentic and I think that many people can forget about this factor of social media.

should the rich be taxed for the poor

In class we talked about if the rich should be taxed to help the poor. Since we spent so much time talking about it, I began to deeply think about it a lot. The first class when Professor Galligan brought the question up I was kind of in the middle of the argument. The reason I was in the middle is because I have been on both sides of the spectrum. I know that when I was younger it was really hard for my parents to pay for everything because only my dad worked and my mom stayed at home with us. It is not like my mom was being lazy and did not want to have a job. We only had one car, my mom didn’t even have a high school education, and she had 3 little kids to watch over. That means my dad had to work extra hard for us to be able to maintain a life. So I know that when the rich were being taxed it was helping my family a lot. Then some miracle happened and my dad started up his own company and got a lot of money. My life changed completely because I was actually able to get stuff I wanted and not just needed. When this happened my dad was obviously getting taxed a lot. I remember him telling me about it. He said how it was funny how everything changed and now he is giving up his money to help people who need it more than us. So because my family and I have been on both sides of the spectrum I feel like it was a lot more personal. Now, I feel that the rich should be taxed. I do understand that the rich (maybe) worked for there money, and it is not entitled to the poor. But, when you have so much money it really does not hurt them because they will make it back so much faster than the poor could make it. I also do understand that there are some really lazy people in the world that just do not want to work and have a steady income so they just expect money from the rich. But that is just not the case for everybody. There are so many people who cannot work because they have a disability, do not have access to get a good job, etc. Some people work a handful of jobs just to get by! And that is what many people do not understand. It is not easy to live life here because it is so expensive. But I can see both sides of the argument. I know that the rich are entitled to there own money and should be able to spend it there money on what they please. I just think that them being taxed is the moral thing to do!

3 identical strangers documentary

This past week I have been really sick and I have been pretty much laying bed watching Netflix and Hulu. I ran out of things to watch and this documentary came up on my Hulu. It was called “Three Identical Strangers.” (I might spoil the ending so just a warning.) It is about these 3 boys. They were all adopted from different families. One day, two  of them find out they’re twins and it ends up being on every newspaper everywhere. And then the 3rd brother sees it and contacts them, and it turns they are triplets! They were in shock and were so happy to be reunited. They became inseparable. They moved in together and even opened a restaurant together. However, they were furious that the adoption agency split them up. They later found out that they had been apart of a science experiment. There were people creating a study about twins and triplets and how being away from their other half, or third, would affect them. When the documentary explained this I was really furious. I do not understand who in their right mind would separate twins or triplets on purpose. It is just inhumane. They would literally go over to their house and ask them questions and check their IQ, then go to their brother house and do the same, and then go to the other brothers house and do it all over again. They did this for years and years. They knew that they were missing a part of them and they kept it a secret from them. It is so unfortunate because they all struggled with mental illnesses due to their separation. And it was not just them, it was all the rest of the twins and triplets that were being studied. After watching this documentary it made me realize how often people think it is okay to manipulate other people’s lives for no good reason. I am glad I watched it because it something very real in our society and its not something you would expect people to do for their own scientific reasoning.

Freshman Year

I have been reflecting on my freshman year of college because it is quickly coming to and end. I can not believe how fast the time has gone. I definitely was really excited to come to VCU and have the whole college experience that I have heard so much about. I was really nervous at first because my parents did not go to college so I really did not know what I was getting myself into. Although college has had it’s ups and downs I have really enjoyed it. I believe I have met some of the coolest people that I most definitely would not have met anywhere else. I got the amazing experience to live in the capital of Virginia. Richmond is so diverse and unique. VCU is so different than any other college I have visited. So, I feel really lucky to have the opportunity to live here. I have some of the best professors and I am grateful to how much they love to teach and want their students to succeed. To be completely honest, my favorite part of my freshman year of college is being able to experience such a completely different part of Virginia. I live in northern Virginia, and as everyone knows it doesn’t have the best reputation. Everyone thinks it’s filled with rich snobby people, which is pretty much true. So, surrounding myself with people from different areas of Virginia and different cultures is so amazing to me! Everyone here really just does what they please and say what they want and wear what they want. Which is not something you see in northern Virginia. Especially because we have the arts program at VCU. Overall, freshman year has been a great experience. I learned a lot about myself and others. I have learned so much more than I did my four years in high school. And I got to do it with some of my new best friends.

Losing my Best Friend

As a little girl, I was always terrified of dogs. Whether it was a tiny yorkie or a big great dane. However, when I was 6, my family and I moved to a bigger house with a big yard, so my dad thought it would be a great idea to get a pet dog. He told me about it once and the next thing I know we have a German shepherd, named Dino, sitting in my living room. He was a puppy but I was terrified of him.  After having Dino for a couple of hours I realized that he was the last thing from scary and that he was going to be my new best friend. My siblings and I would fight over who would get to walk him and I would spend all my free time playing or cuddling with him. From six years old to eighteen he was always there for me. After I came to VCU, I would look forward to all the breaks to go home so I could see him again (and the rest of my family of course.) Over spring break was the best because I hadn’t seen him since winter break and he was so excited to see me that he would sleep in my room and just want me to give him all my attention. This past Wednesday evening I got a random call from my dad. I knew something was up because he never calls me without texting me first. So, I frantically pick up the phone. He explains that Dino is extremely sick, to the point where he could not even walk, or even stand up. He told me that they were going to have to put him down. As soon as he said this I started bawling my eyes out and telling him that there was no way that this was true. I was JUST home for spring break and Dino was acting completely normal and running around. My dad then told me that they had no choice, he was almost 13 years old and he was sick. I was heartbroken that I was in Richmond and not at home to say goodbye to my him or to be with my family in this moment. I had never lost a pet before and I honestly had never thought about this day coming so I was in complete and utter shock and I was a wreck. I cried so much, more than I thought was even humanly possible. After hearing how much pain and the unhealthy state that he was in I just had to accept the fact that he was gone. I know when I go back home in the summer it is going to hit me again when he doesn’t come running up to me like he always did. But, I am grateful for the memories & that I got to grow up with him for almost 13 years and I just hope he enjoyed his life with my family and I because we all loved him so much.

Multimodal Comp

Our current project in class is to create a multimodal composition. In class, when we were first introduced to the project I was a slightly confused about it. The instructions were short, and  simply told us to find a problem or a story to tell. There were very limited directions. First of all, I was already lost on what I was going to choose for my topic. It could almost be anything. And second of all, we had to either create a video, project, poster, etc.  Personally, this is something I am definitely not used to doing. Usually, in class, when we are assigned a project we are usually told a general topic. And from there, we go into further depth of what we would like to focus our projects on . Also, we are typically not given the freedom to choose how we present the project. This is because, normally we are told to just write the typical essay and turn it in. Therefore, having the option to choose something of my own preferance was really something different for me. I then started to think on everything I could present to the class for my project. Later that night, I went on my phone and went on Twitter. A photo popped up on my feed, it was of the #10yearchallenge. But, I was confused because it wasn’t any of the ordinary #10yearchallenge that I had seen before. There wasn’t a picture of someone from 2009 and then another from 2019. Instead, it was 2 photos of the ocean. The one from 2009 was a beautiful, clear, blue view of the ocean. And the second photo, from 2019, was a complete mess. It was filled with plastic, trash, and junk. Sadly, it just looked so wrong. After seeing that photo, I researched more about the topic and it was very eye opening. Everybody hears and sees how polluted the ocean really is, but I can guarantee that it would benefit everyone to research more about the topic. I now know that this is what I want to make my multimodal composition project about. I think it would be interesting to show in a different way than just an essay style format.  

The City and the City Response

The City and the City by China Mieville was definitely a very unique book. I think it is safe to say that I have never read a book just like this one before. At the beginning of the book, it was relatively difficult to start and get into. The diction was a major factor that I was very unfamiliar with. Another reason is was difficult to get into, was the plot. The plot was very different compared to what I was expecting to the book to turn out like.

The book, The City and the City, began by slowly introducing the murder of an unknown woman. This part of the book was very interesting because everytime a new piece of evidence towards the murder was brought up, I felt like they were getting so close to solving the murder. It was very exciting to follow along.  Slowly, but surely, the plot changed into the story of the two cities, Ul Qoma and Beszel. The murder also helped introduce the two cities into the novel. The plot change intrigued me a lot because it completely changed the novel. The novel went from discovering the murder to finding out about Ul Qoma and Beszel. It was truly quite interesting how these two cities were so completely different, although being right next to each other. They had different languages and customs, yet were so close to each other.

Although, The City and the City, is not a book I would generally gravitate towards to on my own time, I am very glad that I have read it. Nonetheless, I do wish that Mieville would have gone more into depth of the mystery of the two cities. And just overall go into further detail of the “two” cities. I think a lot of people would want to know more about it. For example, why did Ul Qoma and Beszel even split in the first place? Despite that, The City and the City was a very well written book. It is definitely very unique and had an interesting plot twist and I enjoyed those factors that the book brought.

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.

A For Adventure - Wonder - Jackson Ward