FI Project Post

This what ive written regarding my topic. I plan to house my project on powerpoint so that is why I do not have a link connecting my post. My cites are mentioned on my other posts, I will include it within my powerpoint and at the end of my essay

Since the era of Richard Nixon’s presidency and his implementation of his “War on Drugs” during the 1960’s, the topic of recreational drugs has been tainted by society. Many of these laws were in place to forward the president’s agenda; the little research that was done was not based on scientific research but mainly part of a larger political agenda. Culturally and socially, recreational drugs were noticed to be used by younger generations and connected to youthful rebellion, social opposition, and political dissent. The way this connects politically, especially to Nixon’s term, was the opposition to the Vietnam War. Youthful rebellion and political dissent connect perfectly; Nixon needed to keep support for his war overseas but with the draft-able age revolting against a war they saw no reason in, this proved rather difficult. The two substances that gained popularity during this time, especially within “hippy” culture was LSD and marijuana. Nixon was highly against the presence of marijuana within the US society, mainly for his political agenda but also on the aspect of race. Nixon is recorded to have said derogatory terms against Jews and Communists on the basis of marijuana being weaponized to push their agenda. He also mentions how left-wingers pushed for decriminalization of marijuana since they were trying to take power from the presidency in office. Not only was Nixon attacking and segregating certain ethnicities, but his assigned commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, Harry Anslinger is quoted mentioning the reason to his opposition to marijuana, “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others. Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men” (Wing 4).

Ronald Reagan’s presidency forwarded the “War on Drugs” to another level. Under Reagan’s presidency, incarceration rates skyrocketed to a massive number, along the terms of nonviolent drug charges. During this era, the “Just Say No” campaign and the Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E) program was implemented into society to resist and curb drug use.

Inquiry Project Sketch

1. What is typically known about my topic is double-sided. Some people are rather against the topic of harm-reduction since they believe that its promotes drug use. While supporters of harm-reduction believe it to curb drug use and provide the safety/guidelines needed for those who decided to partake in drug use.
  2. The typical understanding of my issue, at least for older generations would be to alienate drug use, looking at it as a stain on society. Younger/modern generations have a different viewpoint on the topic, understand drug use, accept it, and help those that truly need it. This problem is significant to understand and to mobilize forward because safe drug use should not be seen as a stain on a person but as a form of release, relaxation, and recreation, one that is made on their own choice. A strong support system is whats needed if the individual develops an unhealthy drug problem, such as friends, family, rehabilitation,  psychotherapy, needle exchange program, nalxone program, etc. With a change in viewpoint of drug use/abuse, instead of sending drug users to prison where they will most likely only truly become hardened by the some of the worst of society, they should be sent into these support system programs. These programs will rehabilitate them slowly, unhealthy drug problems dont disappear over night, they will slowly be weaned off, reducing their usage to hopefully zero. All these programs have been implemented in other countries, all have proved rather effect reducing drug use overall and reducing drug related deaths. Some of my sources mention the implementation of these programs, but I will research more sources mentioning these programs within each specific country.
  3. Most of my sources relate to the specific topic of harm-reduction.

One of my sources relates to harm-reduction specifically within the format of psychedelic support throughout festivals and broad guidelines.

Another focuses on how online forums pertaining to drugs, and how people share their experiences and  support one another with the research they have gathered.

Another claims advocacy for policies pertaining to harm-reduction.

Another makes claims on the 3 phases that harm-reduction has gone through and its main concepts and critiques.

Another one claims for harm-reduction to be implemented within virtuous ethics, not in the format of consequential reasoning.

I have found other sources that I will cite within my main FI project and I will have others to find to discuss specific topics. All my sources tie in to what I am aiming to claim within my project.

4.  My thesis will be along the lines of the status quo, the problem activity we did in class.

(status quo): Substances are dangerous and frowned upon in larger society. (mention why is this the opinion, how did this opinion develop, etc.)

(the problem): Much of the development of this opinion has been years of fear tactics and misinformation.

(possible thesis): obtaining your own research and/or developing your own experience regarding the “the problem” will bring to light the truth and dissolve the “status quo”.

5.

• why harm-reduction is important
  • why harm-reduction should be pursued and implemented
  • how education/research creates a safer and healthier drug culture
  • how harm-reduction has been implemented successfully and possible harmfully within various nations
  •  how technology plays a vital role surrounding all these topics

Concept Experience (continued)

Step 3 (Friday)

Mentioned in many of my sources, is that harm-reduction policies have already been implemented in various other countries. These countries have all seen a reduction in drug use and drug related deaths. Drug use rises with curiosity and experimentation, fear tactics and “just say no” policies dont work, we have seen that with the D.A.R.E. program. Correct education and rehabilitation programs are the main formats for dealing with substance abuse, and that i have noticed that proves positive results. When people have the ability to understand what proves dangerous and what does not, common sense will kick in, because no ones goal is to die when using a substance in the format of recreation. As i mentioned in the past post, drug use wont disappear because we condemn or ignore it, we must learn to accept it and organize our structure around acceptance. Help those with drug problems and understand/research what each substance does, education will help the best with this.

Concept Experience

Step 1 (Wednesday)

#1– The topic of harm reduction relates to many issues. One in particular I want to place my focus on for this  blog post is the usage of naloxone for overdoses on heroin and other opioids.  The benefit of a worldwide naloxone program would be that you cant abuse the naloxone, its has no effect on people who arent under the influence of opioids. Another benefit would be that not only medical professionals can be trained in administering naloxone but also regular citizens can be trained as well. Within the source, a chart is shown from Cook County from when a naloxone program was implemented in 2000. This chart shows a reduction in opioid related deaths from when the program was implemented and a steady decline ever since.

#2– The first source I chose within this post involved harm reduction surrounding opioids. The second source I found involves harm reduction and education surrounding psychedelic substances on the basis of the organization Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS).  MAPS understands that people have difficult times on psychedelic substances, so they provide guidelines to prep before and after. They also create an understanding that bad experiences on psychedelic substances should not be misunderstood, they can be rather fear inducing or uncomfortable but normally this is caused by external environments or internal emotions arising from the experience. This leads into the common practice of having a “sober/trip sitter”, also known as someone who is not under the influence of any substance to care, understand, and converse with the user undergoing the experience regardless if they are having a difficult experience or not. MAPS lists the Four Principles of Psychedelic Harm Reduction, which I personally have to strongly agree with and use as my own guidelines when sober/trip sitting someone,

Four Principles of Psychedelic Harm Reduction

1. Create a safe space
  2. Sitting, not guiding
  3. Talk through, not down
  4. Difficult is not the same as bad

Step 2 (Thursday)

Mentioned in one of my sources, is the common critiques of a harm-reduction.

“The controversial character of this value judgment is amplified because the relevant drugs are illegal. Critics of harm reduction have argued that (1) it encourages drug use, (2) it sends a mixed message, and (3) it fails to get people off of drugs.”

My other source states why harm-reduction works and how its effectively implemented.

“The widespread availability and ever-shifting effects of chemical and herbal intoxicants are a fact of life in the global village at the end of this millennium. Harm reduction sets out a direction for a dynamic, flexible response, one that takes a value neutral view of drug use and drug laws, judging them by their demonstrated ability to augment or limit harm.”

Critics of harm-reduction dont realize that much of what they claim is already prevalent and on going in our prohibitionist society. Drug use is already encouraged by peers. The true mixed message is fear tactics, but this only curbs drug use for a short time until curiosity and experimentation develop stronger in a growing person, and even more when they realize that much of what theyve been preached has been a lie. The goal isnt to get people off drugs, (at least for the ones that cause little to no damage) the goal is to protect people from harm that could possibly be induced from drug use. Like the second source mentions, “The widespread availability and ever-shifting effects of chemical and herbal intoxicants are a fact of life in the global village at the end of this millennium” these substances arent going to go away just because we want people to stop, many of these substances have been engraved in human history and culture for centuries, humans will continue to take substances to alter their perception and consciousness for many more centuries to come.

Step 3 in following post

Nugget Source #4

My fourth source I found on the VCU library website. I included a nugget I found a connection within the passage.

“The success of harm reduction as a unifying concept will depend on its innovative application in both prohibitory and regulatory frameworks, and careful evaluation of its effectiveness in a variety of cultural contexts.”

The nugget talks about how harm reduction will be implemented at the core and how it will be accepted across a broad spectrum within societies. I found a connection with this nugget since it mentions about how harm-reduction will be accepted across different cultures. This process will be rather difficult since many nations/cultures around the world look at substances quite differently. Most modern countries are rather progressive about this topic, especially Europe, which have already accepted harm-reduction as a social norm. While the US continues to move forward rather slowly, with unfair classifications of many substances and strict incarceration laws. On the complete opposite of the spectrum, most third-world countries implement some of the harshest penalties in regards to drug laws. Some of these penalties range simply from imprisonment for life, body marking (such as cut off limbs, mainly the hands), or even death. These third-world countries will progress the slowest according to harm-reduction.

Linking to Peers Investigators Assemble

Blog #1: The style of this post with mine is rather similar. Mentions a quote, has multiple tags that coincide with whats mentioned within the quote, and mentions the dreamers and how they would react to the main idea within the quote.

Blog #2: This post is rather different then my post’s style. The dreamer’s are mentioned almost in a conversation style, the author of the post speaking through the dreamers words.

Blog #3: This blogger, instead of posting each part separately included all portions of the investigators assemble in one post. This is opposite of mine since I decided to separate each part into individual posts.

Part 4: The Missioning

I have mentioned multiple times what I will ultimately claim within my project but I will state again.

I plan moving forward with research on how technology helps spread the message of the main topics im surrounding my project around. Mainly on the the topics of education and research. The message of my project is spread across many formats, but since i will be mainly focusing on technology, most of my research will focus around apps, social media, forums, etc.

The nuggets ive found within each dreamer directly connect in some form within my projects topic. I will find more nuggets to implement if i notice it is needed. The nuggets mainly focus on the technology aspect and on  education, as well as research around the topic of harm-reduction.

Part 3: The Advising

My three dreamers will connect alongside my categories; mainly education and research. In my last post I included the names of my dreamers and their individual readings. I have included how they each connect with each other.

All of my dreamers connect in a format regarding technology and how they will implement a direction of education with the usage of technology.

Part 2: The Planning

The first dreamer i will connect to my categories is the Computer Lib/ Dream Machines. I enjoy the connection of Thomas Paine’s book “Common Sense” due to the fact of the connection of my categories such as education, research, and harm reduction. I would personally argue that implementing a harm-reduction policy would strongly be in accordance with the term common sense. All my categories coincide is some form, education and research would directly lead to a path of harm-reduction, which would eventually connect to moderation.

The second dreamer ive chosen is from the Man-computer symbiosis reading. I want to connect this reading since it mentions the creation of a information system that binds the human brain with computing systems. This format of information deliverance connects with my categories in accordance with education and research. With more and more formats of sharing information such as forums, social media, apps, etc. being created and gaining popularity in regards to users, the goal of a stronger basis for education and research will be spear-headed in the right direction. This is part of my main goal within the scope of my project, to share information, to educate, and to help others understand research that is prevalent within many of these technological formats (forums, social media, apps, etc.).

My third dreamer is from the Englebart reading. I found a connection with the reading since it mentions how learning is achieved through a form of organized structure and/or through experience. It takes time to learn about something so if you push yourself to research a topic you can gain much expertise from studying others experiences and applying them to your own.

All these readers fall under my categories, mainly of education, research, and then the overall connection of harm-reduction.