Connecting Nuggets

This nugget post I am including my second source for my project and finding a connection within our dreamer readings. I have linked the post to a PDF file, which opens up after the source within the VCU library search, but just in case i will also link the original VCU library source.

“Psychedelic support volunteers are drawn from festival culture. Many are psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors and other mental health professionals; others are community drugs workers; some simply have extensive experience with psychedelics. Their remit of care covers all difficult drug experiences for which medical attention is not required. While most work within the care space, mobile teams, such as the Vibe Patrol at Boom or the Zendo Roamers at Burning Man, circulate on dance floors to “keep the vibe high”, providing primary care, water, reassurance and sometimes transport to the care space.”

Similarities between this nugget with my past source nugget, are that much of the information these volunteers use are found within the online forums. This information is shared and recorded, many have found them to be quite reputable. Since so many individuals have shared their experiences, multiple first hand sources have been shared/ recorded, which I have come to believe as the best form of a first hand source. This will fit nicely within my project since Dancesafe’s mission is to take care of people; not only regarding harm-reduction within drug use, but as well harm-reduction all around; such as “primary care, water, reassurance, transport to the care space”.

The Dreamer post I will connect this nugget to is the Computer Lib/ Dream Machines post. At one portion of the Dreamer post, Thomas Paines “Common Sense” is mentioned, regarding how “it woke people up, made them open their eyes to a larger world around them, and caused them to rally around a common cause”. This fits directly with my nugget, when mentioned how professionals such as “psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors and other mental health professionals; others are community drugs workers; some simply have extensive experience with psychedelics” have extensive research and background information regarding these substances. At one point, these professionals had to have “opened their eyes” and ignored the legality aspect of these substances and done their own research to understand this topic. As i have come to learn this is a regular outcome of people doing their own research and experiencing; these “soft-core drugs” such as psychedelics, marijuana, mdma, etc. Many of theses substances have begun to obtain a better reputation because of this process. The main format that is preached is safety, moderation, before/after planning, and extensive research; to reduce the harm that could possibly come from these substances.