Change is Inevitable

Today I graduate from high school. All the hours of sitting in class and doing homework comes to an end. I feel relieved and excited to spend my summer hanging out with my friends. As I walk up the stage to receive my diploma, I feel extremely happy and ready to move forward with my life. When the graduation ceremony ends, I walk outside and take pictures with my lifelong friends. I invite them to my graduation party so we can further celebrate this achievement in my life.

My friends congratulating me as I graduate high school.

My friends and I at my graduation party

As summer goes by, I spend almost everyday with my friends because we all know that this would be the last summer we get to hang out with each other before we all start college. We spent countless hours at the beach, houses, pools,  and parks. I went to numerous graduation parties and loved every single one. Every moment I spent hanging out with friends was bittersweet because even though my friends and I were making this summer one to remember, this was going to be the last time all my friends would be in the same city before going to college. I also went to see my high school track team at summer training. I said my goodbyes to my coach and all my teammates. They all wished me luck in college and hoped that I did well on the track team at VCU. As the last days of summer came to an end, I said my goodbyes to all my friends and family members. I hugged all my friends each for a long time. I shed a couple tears in the process because it hurt me emotionally knowing that I wouldn’t see them until winter break.

My last summer picture with my closest friends.

As I packed my luggage in my parent’s van to head off for college, I felt nervous and slightly depressed. It really didn’t hit me until just now that I was going to live in a different city away from all my friends and family. I thought that I should be happy and excited because I was getting away from my parents and I would have more freedom. In reality, I wasn’t ready for my life to change so soon. I didn’t want to leave my friends, family, and old high school. Those things made me feel comfortable and I wasn’t ready to leave all that behind. As I arrive to my dorm, I unpacked my belongings and set up my room. I said goodbye to my parents and they hugged me as they left my dorm. At first, I was excited to meet all these new people and attend all the new events for freshmen at VCU. I had mixed feelings about my first month at college. I was happy that I had freedom to do what I want but I was sad most of the time because I missed my friends. Some nights I would just lay awake thinking about my high school prom and going to track meets.

My friend and I doing a handshake at a track meet.

Prom photos with my friend.

As college continued, I made many new friends. I became more involved with the school and spent many hours hanging out with my new friends. I attended basketball, volleyball, and soccer games. I went out to eat and participated in many activities with my new friends. I started to feel at home and this new life became comfortable to me. I saw myself go from sitting in my room feeling depressed that I couldn’t see my old friends to going out and hanging with my new friends.

Cheering at a volleyball game with my track friends.

Taking pictures with my friend.

I think that forgetting and unseeing how rough my first month of college was helped me look forward and it helped me stop thinking about the life I had when I was back in my hometown. Now that I am past that first stage of transitioning from high school to college, I feel more motivated to move forward with my life rather than wanting to go back to the life I had before college.

When I came back to my hometown for winter break, all my friends and I went to a restaurant to meet up again. We all had different things going on for us in different cities. I was happy to see them all again but it seemed like everyone changed. The connection that we all had in the summer was gone. It was still nice to see them again but it just wasn’t the same but for some reason, it did not bother me at all. I went to visit my old high school that same day but it was not how I imagined it to be. I felt like an outsider. I talked to my old teachers and coaches and told them how I have been doing. It was nice to catch up with all of them but I felt like I did not belong there. When I came back from break, I felt at home. I found it unusual how living in Richmond felt like home to me even though I have only been here for a few months. I realized that everyone changes no matter how rough or unusual it may be. No one is meant to stay the same forever.

2 thoughts on “Change is Inevitable

1. I really enjoyed reading this because I can totally relate. I have never liked change. Moving to VCU away from all my family and friends was such a big deal to me. I also felt sad that I wasn’t going to be able to see them for a while, but I soon realized that this is my new life here at VCU. I needed to look at everything in a positive perspective instead of feeling sad all the time. Change is a good thing. I too went back to my high school over break and it felt so bizarre to be in that environment. I felt as if I didn’t belong there anymore, and I don’t. Since I have been at VCU I have become great friends with such amazing people and have made made so many new adventures that I am glad to be apart of. You seem to love it here at VCU and I’m extremely happy for you.

2. Honestly, I can relate so much. Going back home to my friends for break felt so awkward, we hung out for a good amount of time but something just felt off. Also, coming to VCU and leaving friends and family behind caused me to think a lot about them too, but I grew to worry more about what I have to do here at VCU and still talk to them here and there. I’m glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time at VCU now and making more friends and experiences along the way.