Method 1 – listing out the Essential with title and bullet points
Essential I: Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
Prerequisite Courses -Sciences
- BIO 141- Human Anatomy & Physiology I: I was introduced to the fundamentals of human anatomy and physiology. Learned the basic unit of life (cytology) from which humans are built. It also gave me a better understanding of the biological systems and structural organization of the human body.
- Psychology 230- Developmental Psychology: This gave me a better understanding of why human beings change over time. I also learned the changes in human behavior as they develop and the factors that affect human behavior.
- Humanities 246 – Creative thinking: This course thought me how to think creatively and “outside the box”
Method 2- bulleted list with designated Essential at the end Some Prior Nursing Courses at (Southside community college & VCU)
- NSG 210 ( 3rd Semester RN) Health care concepts I
- Lecture on diabetes and risk factors
- Lecture on Coronary Artery disease and risk factors (Essential VII)
- NSG 130 (1st Semester RN) Professional Nursing Concept I
- Lecture on Code of Ethics and HIPAA
- Patient confidentiality and Patient rights (Essential V)
- NUR 301 (1st Semester BSN, VCU) Nursing Informatics
- Clinical decision support.
- Assignment/Consumer Health Technologies. (Essential IV)
Some Current Nursing Courses at (Southsides community college and VCU)
- NSG 230 (4th Semester RN) Advanced Professional Nursing Concept
- lecture/Conflict and different conflict resolution strategies
- Communication skills and different types of communication (Essential VI)
- NUR 307 (1st Semester VCU) Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice II
- Knowledge development with research will be covered
- PICO assignment will be done (Essential III)
- NSG 270 (4th Semester Southside) Nursing Capstone and Practicum Clinical Experience (Essential II)
Other courses not yet covered:
- NURS 477 (4th Semester VCU) Leadership and Management in Health care
- Lecture on leadership will be covered (Essential II)
- NURS 309 (2nd Semester VCU) Population Health
- Lecture on population health will be covered (Essential VII)
- NURS 408 ( 5th Semester VCU) Ethics, Law & Public Policy: Application to nursing practice, will be covered (Essential V)
Method 3 – writing out a more descriptive or narrative format for a few examples of the Essentials
Essential II Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety Nursing Courses at (Southside Community College and VCU) NURS 477 (4th Semester VCU) Leadership and Management in Health care- Lecture on leadership and its impact on quality care and patient safety will be covered NSG 270 (4th Semester Southside) Nursing Capstone and Clinicals – Clinical judgment practicalized during my clinical experience. Safe patient care management accomplished through quality improvement processes.
Essential III Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice NUR 307 (1st Semester VCU) Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice I -Knowledge development with research will be covered. PICO assignment will also be done.
Essential IV Information Management and Application of Patient Care Technology. NUR 301 (1st Semester BSN, VCU) Nursing Informatics-Clinical decision support was covered, and an assignment was done on Consumer Health Technologies which exposed me to the different technologies used by individuals to manage their health.
Essential V Health Care Policy, Finance and Regulatory Environments NSG 130 (1st Semester RN) Professional Nursing Concept I –An overview of the Code of Ethics and HIPAA with Patient confidentiality and rights was covered. NURS 408 ( 5th Semester VCU) Ethics, Law & Public Policy: Application to nursing practice,- will be covered.
Essential VI Interprofessional Communication and collaboration for improving patient health outcomes. NSG 230 (4th Semester RN) Advanced Professional Nursing Concept- I am learning that Conflicts do exist in workplaces for different reasons and there are different conflict resolution strategies a manager can adopt to resolve them. Also, good communication skill is vital in nursing.
Essential VII Clinical Prevention and Population Health NSG 210 ( 3rd Semester RN) Health care concepts I-I was provided with a lecture on diabetes and risk factors. Effect of Lifestyle Changes on the modifiable risk factor on disease prevention and health promotion.
NURS 309 (2nd Semester VCU) Population Health –Lecture on population health and ways to improve population health will be covered.