Portfolio Reflection: Nursing Essentials

Nursing Essentials in Prior and Current Education                                                    

Prerequisite Courses

Essential I: Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice

• BIO 141- Human Anatomy & Physiology I: I was introduced to the fundamentals of human anatomy and physiology. Learned the basic unit of life (cytology) from which humans are built. It also gave me a better understanding of the biological systems and structural organization of the human body.
  • Psychology 230- Developmental Psychology: This gave me a better understanding of why human beings change over time. I also learned the changes in human behavior as they develop and the factors that affect human behavior.
  • Humanities 246 – Creative thinking: This course thought me how to think creatively and think “outside the box”. This has also help me in critical thinking and judgments during my clinical experience.

Prior nursing Courses

Essential V: Health Care Policy, Finance, and Regulatory Environments

• NSG 130 (1st Semester RN) Professional Nursing Concept IAn overview of the Code of Ethics and HIPAA with Patient confidentiality and rights was covered. This was an introduction to Ethics and HIPAA regulations and the importance of patient confidentiality.

Essential IV: Information Management and Application of Patient Care Technology

• NUR 301 (1st Semester BSN, VCU) Nursing Informatics: Clinical decision support was covered, and the assignment was done on Consumer Health Technologies which exposed me to different technologies patient can on their own use to manage their health.

Current Nursing Courses

Essential VI Interprofessional Communication and collaboration for improving patient health outcomes

• NSG 230 (4th Semester, Southside) Advanced Professional Nursing Concept I am learning that Conflicts do exist in workplaces for different reasons and there are different conflict resolution strategies a manager can adopt to resolve them. Also, good communication skill is vital in nursing.

Essential III Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice

• NUR 307 (1st Semester VCU) Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice I- This course is helping me get a better understanding of a healthy work environment and its importance. During this course, I will learn about research development. PICO assignment will also be done.

Author: florence

I am in the RN to BS program through the SVCC-VCU co-enrollment program. I am excited as I am learning a lot about the Nursing Profession