Essential I: Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
- BIO 141- Human Anatomy & Physiology I: I was introduced to the fundamentals of human anatomy and physiology. Learned the basic unit of life (cytology) from which humans are built. It also gave me a better understanding of the biological systems and structural organization of the human body.
- Psychology 230- Developmental Psychology: This gave me a better understanding of why human beings change over time. I also learned the changes in human behavior as they develop and the factors that affect human behavior.
- Humanities 246 – Creative thinking: This course thought me how to think creatively and think “outside the box”. This has also help me in critical thinking and judgments during my clinical experience.
Prior nursing Courses
Essential V: Health Care Policy, Finance, and Regulatory Environments
- NSG 130 (1st Semester RN) Professional Nursing Concept I –An overview of the Code of Ethics and HIPAA with Patient confidentiality and rights was covered. This was an introduction to Ethics and HIPAA regulations and the importance of patient confidentiality.
Essential IV: Information Management and Application of Patient Care Technology
- NUR 301 (1st Semester BSN, VCU) Nursing Informatics: Clinical decision support was covered, and the assignment was done on Consumer Health Technologies which exposed me to different technologies patient can on their own use to manage their health.
Current Nursing Courses
Essential VI Interprofessional Communication and collaboration for improving patient health outcomes
- NSG 230 (4th Semester, Southside) Advanced Professional Nursing Concept– I am learning that Conflicts do exist in workplaces for different reasons and there are different conflict resolution strategies a manager can adopt to resolve them. Also, good communication skill is vital in nursing.
Essential III Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 307 (1st Semester VCU) Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice I- This course is helping me get a better understanding of a healthy work environment and its importance. During this course, I will learn about research development. PICO assignment will also be done.
Collaboration Standard # 13: Registered nurses in the course of their profession should collaborate with patients, family and others involved in patient care. Collaboration helps promote teamwork thereby achieving a target goal in a timely and efficient manner. When collaboration is effectively carried out during patient care, it results in a positive patient outcome. Collaboration helps with conflict resolution which also helps maintain a healthy work environment. I have experienced collaboration at the clinical facility when delivering care to patients with more than one health problem and need. The teamwork performed with my colleagues enabled us to provide proficient quality care. Also, in both NSG 301 and NSG 307, group assignments have been done where members of my group collaborated in making sure the assignment was done. An example of collaboration in NSG 307 is the presentation on nursing history and another is the presentation on the scholarship of teaching, a type of scholarship in the nursing discipline. On NSG 301, My group collaboratively worked on a High Tide Scenario, analyzing the case assigned from different perspectives such as what the problem was and what the ethical dilemma was in the scenario.
Environmental Health # 16: Maintaining a healthy environment is also important in ensuring the safety of both patients and nurses in the workplace and the community as well. I gained a better understanding of the benefits of a healthy work environment in this course. Standard #16 entails the use of products and their effect on the environment. This will help avoid environmental hazards. It was also analyzed, with reference to the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) standards. This was to know if they had the standards required to establish a healthy work environment. Reflecting on my clinical setting, the AACN standards are integrated although they struggle with having adequate staffing.
Essential III Scholarship for Evidence-Based Practice: According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), Essential III is when “professional nursing practice is grounded in the translation of current evidence into one’s practice” (2008). With the growing healthcare system and its complexity, it is important that practices that are implemented are evidence-based to yield positive patient outcomes. Some of the areas that relate to essential III in NSG 301 and NSG 307 are discussed below.
Cumulative Update on NSG 307 & NSG 301
- NUR 307 (2nd Semester VCU-RESEARCH) Foundation of Professional Nursing Practice I- This course has given me a better understanding of what evidence-based clinical research entails. How to formulate a good PICOT clinical research question. This was done by first formulating a background question, then a foreground question which will help lead one to an evidenced-based PICOT question. The PICOT components of the question are Problem/Population (P), intervention (I), comparison ( C), Outcome (O), Time (T). The background question helps the researcher identify a problem to work on and it gives broader and general information on the problem area. While the foreground question is more specific on the area researchers want to focus on. (Essential III).
My assignment on formulating PICO questions are as follows:
Background Question: How can the rate of catheter-induced infection in hospitalized patients be reduced?
Foreground Question: Does the length of time in which indwelling catheter is used affect the incidence of urinary tract infection in hospitalized patients?
PICO Question: In adult female hospitalized patients under the age of 50 years (P) how does the short term use of foley catheter (I) compared to long term use (C) affect the incidence of catheter induced urinary tract infection (O) during the admission period (T)?
Other areas of this course that I have gained from, were the assignments on Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendations, the HTHS scenario on clinical ladder progression, and an analysis of a patient’s story that borders on quality and safety of patient care. (Essential III)
NUR307-QUALITY IMPROVEMENT: This course has reinforced my understanding of what a healthy work environment entails and the importance of achieving a positive outcome that is sustained for both patients and healthcare professionals. A journal reflection assignment was done on a healthy work environment. The High Tide Health System (HTHS) work environment was also analyzed, with reference to the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN) standards. This was to know if they had the standards required to establish a healthy work environment. (Standard #16)
The different scholarship in the nursing discipline is also an interesting aspect I came across in this course. Examples are the scholarship of discovery, the scholarship of practice, and the scholarship of teaching. My group and I had a collaborative assignment done on the Scholarship of Teaching. During this assignment, a slide presentation was done of the different aspects of the scholarship of teaching such as the examples of the scholarship of teaching and methods for advancement. (Standard #13)
- NUR 301(1st Semester VCU-INFORMATICS) Nursing Informatics: Clinical decision support was covered and an assignment was done on Consumer Health Technologies which exposed me to different technologies patient can on their own use to manage their health. Importance of nursing documentation and standard technology in health care. An assignment that focused on evidence-based search was done which was on comparing google Vs database search (Essential III).
Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice. (2010). Retrieved from https://www.bethelu.edu/uploads/general/Nursing-Program-ApplicationProcess_Scope-and-Standards.pdf
Reflection on Essentials and Professional Standards #13 & #16
This course has enlightened me on what the essentials and standards are, the content of each, and how it relates to nursing practice. I knew we had a curriculum but didn’t know that they were already aligned under different essentials as proposed by the American Nurses Association. It is interesting to know the nine essentials and be able to discern where each concept belongs as my program progresses. The knowledge of the essentials and standards helps equip nurses to be able to perform their professional duties aimed at delivering the best quality care to patients. These entail both skills and knowledge such as Essential II which focuses on knowledge of leadership and quality improvement and Essential III which entails evidence-based practice.
The standards focused on during this course were standards #13 and #16 which were collaboration and a healthy work environment respectively. Collaboration and teamwork were seen amongst team members in this course which helped us to achieve our desired goal in the assignments. An assignment was also done on healthy work environments and the benefits were identified which is categorized under standard #16. The Essentials and Standards of practice are requirements in nursing and are important in the nursing profession.