Concept Experience #3 – Creating a Concept Network

I have not narrowed any ideas yet but I am brainstorming constantly.  I feel as if the human mind might be too abstract to effectively model. It is forever creating, modifying, and deleting links as new information is processed. By forcing that unnatural way of association on our thought process is not allowing us to use our mind to our full capacity. There are so many types of thought that I have that one feeling seems much too small to express the gamut of emotions thought can provoke.

It’s as if I am falling in a bottomless pit of my own questions and thoughts, sometimes a very dark place. If we cannot move from this unnatural style of organization we might never achieve the ideas he talks about, and reach the potential of humanity as far as the mind goes.

This fear is plausible, and I think we are right to wonder.

I often say the millennials suffer from a lack of critical thinking skills and common sense caused by letting computers do everything from them. Our society has developed a norm that enables everything from food, technology, and everyday lifestyles to be quick, easy, and efficient. We suffer because the computer can’t perform the operations we want it to, or we lose valuable information because the spyware records our keystrokes.

How will we know when enough is enough?

Week two gave me some food for thought because I had to teach myself what was obvious from a general perspective. I have never been able to grasp simple concepts because I over think them by my very nature. With one item in its grasp, it snaps instantly to the next that is suggested by the association of thoughts, in accordance with some intricate web of trails carried by the cells of the brain. This concept is actually very difficult for me. It also made me realize that a good research topic brings more question than answers in the early stages.

Men appear to think more naturally and easily in terms of goals than in terms of courses. This is because man’s problem-solving capability represents possibly the most important resource possessed by a society. Yet the speed of action, the intricacy of trails, the detail of mental pictures, is awe-inspiring beyond all else in nature.

Computer instruction through specification of goals is being approached along two paths. However, the consistent part among the two concepts is that it was up to the human problem solver to analyze the data and figure out the best solution. There can be little benefit to a machine because a machine is an inanimate object. Every person who does his thinking with symbolized concepts (whether in the form of the English language, pictographs, formal logic, or mathematics) should be able to benefit significantly.

Maybe society is too focused on finding definite solutions, if we just began trying to do things we might end up with more knowledge. So I think we should just keep doing what we are doing, because if it isn’t broken, why try to fix it. To search, comprehend, and ultimately understand a concept; seems like a lot of work to me for such a minuscule end result.

I think everyone’s point of views in responses to my blog and original postings will help me narrow down ideas naturally.

9 thoughts on “Concept Experience #3 – Creating a Concept Network”

1. I too wrote a blog post talking about the same ideas in your first paragraph. The brain is like a machine geared to solve and overcome hardships and complexities.

2. The part where you talked about your topic and how it was the hardest part for you was very well said! I honestly feel exactly how you feel but it was hard for me to say. You elaborated on that perfectly. For example where you said, “It also made me realize that a good research topic brings more question than answers in the early stages.” That is verbatim to what I was thinking but I was not able to articulate it!

Great post! I am definitely going to keep a lot of what you wrote in mind because it is applicable to me.

3. Pingback: willthesullivan