Pervading all of the augmentation means is a particular structure or organization. While an untrained aborigine cannot drive a car through traffic, because he cannot leap the gap between his cultural background and the kind of world that contains cars and traffic, it is possible to move step by step through an organized training program that will enable him to drive effectively and safely. In other words, the human mind neither learns nor acts by large leaps, but by steps organized or structured so that each one depends upon previous steps.

Although what I gathered most throughout the article was in the need for organization especially as it applied to machine language, the above statement is what grabbed my attention the most.  It reminded me of what my Physics professor recently stated.  He said “I can’t teach you anything”.  He went on to say how the best he can do is to try to break down the information and present it well enough so that we can “teach” ourselves.  The point he was trying to make is that you can’t teach understanding.  You can’t teach concepts.  You can simply try to explain them so that they can be easily understood and that person has to make the connections to “learn” the material.  This really applies in the digital age as well.  Computers and humans must work together so that the computer can process (computers can’t “understand” after all – can they?) the information.  Then it must display the information so that the human can understand it.  It’s really about language it seems.  Humans (programmers, at least) must understand computer languages and computers must present in a language that all can understand.