Concept Experience (Augmenting Human Intelligence)

I suspect it will take people about 10 minutes or less to read and comprehend this blog post, but it took me over an hour to actually produce it. Whenever I delve into the process of deep thinking, I tend to find myself in that zone for the remainder of the day. I have never been able to grasp simple concepts because I over think them by my very nature. I tried to forget about the assignment and just go with my stream of consciousness, but it wasn’t quite that easy. I think more things should be priced as well as Raman noodles. I enjoy this because it’s almost as if I can feel my brain working and expanding to capture the assignment at hand. I think this class is a great way to get students tapped into their creative and expressive side, while simultaneously generating ideas and inquiries that can apply in a real world situation. The use of peer communication via many websites all syndicated to one course I feel will lead to a bottomless exploration of opinions and innovation. “Man’s population and gross product are increasing at a considerable rate, but the complexity of his problems grows still faster, and the urgency with which solutions must be found becomes steadily greater in response to the increased rate of activity and the increasingly global nature of that activity. Augmenting man’s intellect, in the sense defined above, would warrant full pursuit by an enlightened society if there could be shown a reasonable approach and some plausible benefits.” The idea of populations and products increasing has always been something I was aware of, but in addition to that this passage presented the notion of the complexity of man’s problems. In the past people have had problems of building homes, scavenging food, working, and raising a family. That was much simpler and faster than the languages we speak today. “Present-day computers are designed primarily to solve preformulated problems or to process data according to predetermined procedures. It seems entirely possible that, in due course, electronic or chemical “machines” will outdo the human brain in most of the functions we now consider exclusively within its province.” Computers are not living breathing organisms…yet at least. No matter how personalized it is or voices that speak to you from these devices seem real, the computer is still not an organism. “The scientists, burying their old professional competition in the demand of a common cause, have shared greatly and learned much. What are the scientists to do next?” This explores the idea of where the split between the realm of technology and the realm of the human mind lies. Consideration for this device is no longer necessary, because I believe it already exists in what we call the “smartphone”. These devices do indeed allow an individual to store basically their entire life on one device. They really are the symbiosis of man and computer. With a smartphone, when visiting songkick,  I find a band that I like that’s playing in the Richmond area and from there can head over the venue website, which happened to be the National. Food is edible. Cats have fur. It’s that simple! I’m excited to keep digitally investigating with you guys!